Opinions on Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

binka

Am new to geocaching and so far have been doing it with just a map. I'm not technology minded at all and am a bit baffled by all the choices of GPS. I like the look of the Legend though and it gets some good write ups. Any one think they're good or can recommend a better, similar priced model. Am in the UK.

Thanks

Am new to geocaching and so far have been doing it with just a map. I'm not technology minded at all and am a bit baffled by all the choices of GPS. I like the look of the Legend though and it gets some good write ups. Any one think they're good or can recommend a better, similar priced model. Am in the UK.

Thanks

I have the Legend HCx and I love it. I have also added the City Navigator maps and plan to add topos at some point in the near future. You do not have to be a real techno geek to learn to use the Legend. I have learned some extra tips and tricks by monitoring this forum. The manual is a little lacking in some areas, but you will do fine . I would highly recommend the Legend HCx especially if you are on a little bit of a budget as I am. I purchased mine from Amazon for about $188 US. There are other units that are very nice but most cost a good bit more.

It is a very nice handheld gps and well worth the price. I bought one earlier this year and it has met all my expectations and needs for geocaching. I particularly wanted to have topo maps for my gps as my prior Garmin GPS 72 was a very basic model and had no maps. Garmin's Topo maps get criticized for not being detailed enough. I find it works quite well, I have not walked off of a cliff yet (I do look where I'm walking people!) and being able to see water features between me and a cache helps me make much more intelligent decisions on my approach. I also like that I don't lose satellite signal every time I walk under a tree canopy as my old unit did.

I would say that if you want to use this model as a dual-use device for auto navigation as well as geocaching, you may wish to look for a different solution. There is no voice-guidance and the screen is pretty small to look at while you are trying to drive. Works OK if you have a co-pilot to read the unit and tell you when to turn.

Thanks

I have this model and find it pretty robust. I would buy recharchargeable batteries for it though. And always carry spares.

I'd love to say that I was delighted with my one month old Legend HCx, but I am not. I've had 4 Garmins over the 3 years (even bottom of the line $100 H versions) I've been caching and this one is the slowest to respond to Sat signals. I'm always about 50-60 meters behind on the readinds on my wife's 76 Hcx an my granddaughter's Vista HCx. If we don't move my Legend will eventually 'catch up' and have a similiar reading. Also, this one loses its settings and reverts to it's factory settings when I shut it off, leaving me without WAAS. Perhaps I have a defective machine?????? :D