Garmin Legend HCx Storage of information

With my Explorist 500 I can put a large portion of our state into the memory using MapSend 3d Topo then store all kinds of basic information, owner, location, hints "solved", found, cache type, etc about hundreds of points. I must have about 2000 on my SD memory card. Does the Legend have this capability?

With my Explorist 500 I can put a large portion of our state into the memory using MapSend 3d Topo then store all kinds of basic information, owner, location, hints "solved", found, cache type, etc about hundreds of points. I must have about 2000 on my SD memory card. Does the Legend have this capability?

I have a Legend HCx and I love it. It will hold as much map data as you can jam the card full of depending on what kind of card you have, and what maps you have. Maps are not an issue as far as getting them on the GPS.

As for the cache information, that's a different story. There's a very basic geocaching function in the HCx which lets you see the basic description, and mark it as found (which then changes the waypoint symbol). It does not give the hint, size, owner, etc. Just the basics. You can use GSAK to manipulate the name of the cache to give you more information, but if you are trying to use the Legend for paperless caching, good luck. You're better off with a Colorado or an Oregon.

The actual WAYPOINT memory on the HCx is 1000 points, but you can get around the by using the POI loader. You simply import your GPX query (either from a PQ or from Gsak) into the POI Loader, and send the custom POI's to the unit. I had over 5000 caches loaded on my HCx when I went to my last mega event. Instead of looking for a geocache, you say look for a custom POI (which is really a geocache) and then you can "save" the custom POI as a waypoint, which is then recognized as a geocache and can be marked as "found".

Personally, I found using the POI functionality to get more than 1000 caches on my HCx annoying. I'd rather just have PQ's loaded for the area I am in.

Hope this helps.