GPS Child Tracking Devices?

SunamGeo

I've just seen an ad for a GPS unit that links directly to an armband on your child so that if they get lost or (heaven forbid) abducted, they can be easily found (assuming they still have their wristband on) This unit was by Brickhouse and was its own unit, not one that was compatible with a general GPS unit. I looked up some that would work with GPS units in general and they were pretty pricey. Not that they wouldn't be worth it in the event you needed it but wondering how many times I would could afford to replace it if he lost it!!! Does anyone know more about it than I found in a couple of quick searches? I love the idea but would want to make a very thoughtful choice. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks!

Rachel

I hadn't looked into the details of it much only that the unit on the commercial appeared to work similar to a GPS which got me to thinking that there might be something out there that would work with our current GPS and not require us to buy a separate system altogether.

Is this (http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/locator.html) what your talking about? If so this has nothing to do with the GPS.

http://www.childlocator.com/

http://www.guardianlion.com/

I hadn't looked into the details of it much only that the unit on the commercial appeared to work similar to a GPS which got me to thinking that there might be something out there that would work with our current GPS and not require us to buy a separate system altogether.

No such luck I’m afraid. Handheld GPSr devices are one way only. Services that offer tracking use other satellites as well.

No such luck I’m afraid. Handheld GPSr devices are one way only. Services that offer tracking use other satellites as well.

Or the cell phone system, depending. Either way, you need a GPSr (on the child, not in your pocket or purse) to determine where the child is. Incorporated with that, you need something like a satellite uplink or cell phone unit to actually "phone home" and let somebody know where the child is. Think OnStar for your child.

Or the cell phone system, depending. Either way, you need a GPSr (on the child, not in your pocket or purse) to determine where the child is. Incorporated with that, you need something like a satellite uplink or cell phone unit to actually "phone home" and let somebody know where the child is. Think OnStar for your child.

Thanks, guys! That makes sense!