entering co-ordinates for a geocache location

kidco

We are new at geocaching and there were not alot in our area. We planted one today and came to register it but everytime I enter the co-ordinates (N) they come up as invalid. I am using the same number of spaces and decimals that are already there. I need to enter 45.833.56 but I just don't know what to do. Please help me so we can try to get our groove and get our town plotted!!

We are new at geocaching and there were not alot in our area. We planted one today and came to register it but everytime I enter the co-ordinates (N) they come up as invalid. I am using the same number of spaces and decimals that are already there. I need to enter 45.833.56 but I just don't know what to do. Please help me so we can try to get our groove and get our town plotted!!

First of all, try this. Coords are like this

45 83.356

Since I can't use the degree symbol.

What type of GPSr is this? Make sure it is set to the right datum WGS 84 and D MM.MMM format.

It looks like you are using the wrong format. The GC.com site uses HDDDMM.mmm

H= Hemisphere (N or S)

D= Degrees (N/S ranges = 0 to 90) - (E/W ranges = 0 to 180)

M = Minutes (range = 0 to 59)

m = decimal Minutes (range = .000 to .999)

You appear to be trying to force HDDD.ddddd (Degrees and decimal Degrees) where it can't fit.

The conversion from N45.83356 Degrees is N45 Degrees 50.014 Minutes (because .83356 divided by 60 = 50.014). You have to do an identical conversion for the Longitude component. You should be able to change your GPS to the Geocaching format to eliminate this confusion.

Provide more info (the rest of your numbers and what kind of GPS you have) if you still need more help.

kidco,

The first cache you found today, or at least the first cache you posted a find on today, has the following coordinates as seen on the cache page:

N 45° 51.957 W 064° 16.709

- Realize first that there is a lot to learn BUT none of it is difficult. You'll figure it out soon. Very soon.

Rewriting the posted coordinates correctly (geocaching.com continues to leave off the "minutes" part of the units - why I am not quite sure), we got this:

N 45° 51.957' W 064° 16.709'

In words, this is the following:

North 45 degrees, 51 point 9 5 7 minutes

West 64 degrees, 16 point 7 0 9 minutes.

When you read the coordinates off of your GPS unit, they should be in this format. If not, something is not set appropriately.

When you enter the coordinates to a cache you wish to publish, you will find 4 places to enter numbers. Typically, the North and West are written in already.

Do this first. Write out what the coordinates are from your GPS. This could even be the location of your house for now. In geocaching.com, go to the Hide and Seek A Cache area (found in the left margin of the main or subsequent pages), go down to Latitude and Longitude Searh, and then WDS84 Datum. There, enter these coodrinates and Search for caches in your area. Do you see the same caches that you saw previously? IF so, good. You're doing this right. IF not, then you are reading something or typing something or understanding something wrong. Try again.

If you still have trouble, feel free to contact me and I'll try to walk you through this. - Pat