Logging caches as a team if separated?

TillaMurphs

Our team has three members and 8 feet (my wife and me and our furry assistant). We are the “TillaMurphs” (don’t ask). After a couple of months “we” have about 70 finds. When we signed up, we never thought much the team aspect because we saw many other user names that were also obviously teams.

This week, a work trip separates my wife and me and has us on opposite sides of the country. This brings us to our question:

Following accepted geocaching guidelines, is it OK for us to log different caches in different states on the same day? These are caches that we each found on our own rather than as our typical team.

Thanks,

The TillaMurphs

I know several couple who do just that. The account is for you to keep track of your finds, so it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of how you choose to do it. If that satisfies you, then that's just fine.

On the other hand, my husband and I decided that we wanted to keep track of what we had each found, even though we usually cache together. We knew there would be some times when we would be finding caches without each other. I also knew that if I found some wonderful cache, he would be more inspired to visit it too if he didn't already have it on his list of found caches (and vice versa). So no one will fault you if you really want to make an additional account and log separately, either.

If you are going to make another account, it's better to do it now, when you have fewer caches to copy into the new account.

Our team has three members and 8 feet (my wife and me and our furry assistant). We are the “TillaMurphs” (don’t ask). After a couple of months “we” have about 70 finds. When we signed up, we never thought much the team aspect because we saw many other user names that were also obviously teams.

This week, a work trip separates my wife and me and has us on opposite sides of the country. This brings us to our question:

Following accepted geocaching guidelines, is it OK for us to log different caches in different states on the same day? These are caches that we each found on our own rather than as our typical team.

Thanks,

The TillaMurphs

Oh the joys of geocaching!

Murph,

I have seen individual accounts, team account, and accounts for geocaching dogs. I have met geocachers who use a team name and would never log a find unless their spouse was along with this for the find ... or so they claim. These are good people, so I believe what I am told by them. I don't believe the guidelines say anything about the online claims of a find, but things change and I don't always read 100% of the stuff I thought I read, so ... it could be in there now, but I doubt it. (If it is, awesome!)

I think the big thing here is did you log the find in the field log. Sure you did. Did you use the team name? Probably so. What else would you have used? That said, what would your spouse have used? The same name. They found the cache. They signed the name. You found the cache. You signed the name.

I always sign my name and my dog's name in the caches that we find together. If she's not there, her name doesn't go in the log. Who cares? Right? I do. This way I document if she was with me. Its important to me and its accurate. Beyond that ... who really does care?

I think the next important thing here is what is said in the online log. (This is another "who cares" thing.) It sounds like you have a good relationship, enjoy caching together, and would have had your spouse with you if you could. I would bet a buck that you even mentioned this in your online log. "I was here on business. My sweetie couldn't be with me ..." Just like me including my dog, you mention the situation of your find.

All that to say: If you indicate what you did and enjoyed finding the cache, no one should lose too much sleep over it. You weren't trying to cheat someone. Enjoy your geocaching! - Pat (and Hilda)