Garmin USB Interface

i have a 76csx with anew 2gb sd card installed & am downloading large data sets to it now. mapsource is great until you send large data sets. then it becomes painful waiting hrs for the download to complete.

i have asked garmin tech support about this & all i get is it's USB compatible.

it looks to me (watching the transfer speeds) like it's usb 1.1 & not 2.0 compatible.

any one know for sure ?

paul

I sometimes have to do in a few times a month when updating my trail maps with a new version. So it does get pretty time consuming.

here is something i tried this am that appears to work. may help if u download different mapsets allot:

i copied my latest mapset from the 76 card to my hd. created another mapset & copied that 1 to a different folder on the hd. then copied each of them back to the garmin folder on the 76 1 @ a time & it works great. so now u can copy any mapset to the garmin folder, turn the 76 off & on & it reloads the new mapset. an 800mb copy takes 20 minutes rather then 4 hrs via mapsource. what doesn't get reloaded are the way points or routes but that's easy to fix via a quick reset & erase on the unit & a mapsource download of just the way points & routes.

Pedantry: It's USB 2.0. It's Full Speed USB 2.0. It is not High Speed USB 2.0. So the effective speed is the higher of the two speeds (Low and Full) available in USB 1.1.

http://www.usb.org/developers/usb20/faq20/

Put the card in an external card reader/writer that does High Speed and you'll find it rocks along much faster.

http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries...ling.html#speed

Edited by robertlipe