Looking for opinions on the Magellan Sportrak

moraelyn

I've come across a local ad for a Megellan Sportrak GPS unit for $75. It's advertised as new in box, never used. I'm still waiting for hear back from the seller regarding the model, and if it's still available.

I'm looking for some opinions on using this unit as a my first GPS unit for geocaching. I understand that I wouldn't be able to download the waypoints used on the geocaching.com site, as it's a magellan unit, not a Garmin, but I'd be willing to enter the coordinates manually.

Thanks,

Moraelyn

As long as the Sportrak comes with a cable to connect it to the PC then you can use the coordinates downloaded from GC.com - you don't need to enter them manually. You will need another piece of software, like EasyGPS (which is free and easy to use) to get the downloaded waypoints into the GPS.

I don't have a Sportrak but my sister does (I have a Magellan Meridian). I've downloaded waypoints into it and we've gone caching together and her accuracy was good with that GPS. It is a discontinued model, so it isn't supported by Magellan (not that their support is good even for current models).

As long as the Sportrak comes with a cable to connect it to the PC then you can use the coordinates downloaded from GC.com - you don't need to enter them manually. You will need another piece of software, like EasyGPS (which is free and easy to use) to get the downloaded waypoints into the GPS.

I don't have a Sportrak but my sister does (I have a Magellan Meridian). I've downloaded waypoints into it and we've gone caching together and her accuracy was good with that GPS. It is a discontinued model, so it isn't supported by Magellan (not that their support is good even for current models).

Thanks ;) I still haven't heard back from the person selling it. It was a local as on kijiji, and I'm hoping they still have it for sale. I'm hoping it would have the cable, as it's advertised as new in box.

Moraelyn

I've had a Sprotrak for a few years and used it a lot before I started caching. It always worked well. When I started caching I upgraded to a Legend hcx for the color screen and such but the Sportrak got be to my first finds just fine.

I just got a used SportTrak Color for $100. Works great! My first GPSr, good enough for my geocaching. Also have connected it to my computer using the SERIAL cable (not usb) to upload 300 waypoints into it (didn't want to go overboard with the 500!). Used it the past weekend to go from cache to cache. Pretty cool.