The Rules Have Changed

The funniest part of this to me is that this was probably just an innocent re-write of that section with no grand scheme in mind at all. Suddenly I feel the urge to Netflix the movie "Conspiracy Theory".
I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure that TPTB weren't all laughing in a sinister manner, "Bwa ha ha," as they reworded the rules a skosh.
If a cacher signs the paper log but doesn't log online, one can now prove he broke the rules ...
Well, to be picky, one can now prove only that he has not yet followed the rules. Nothing specifies how long/short an interval is allowed between signing the paper log and logging online, and it's hard to prove that he won't ever log online sometime in the future.
If a cacher signs the paper log but doesn't log online, one can now prove he broke the rules ...

Well, to be picky, one can now prove only that he has not yet followed the rules. Nothing specifies how long/short an interval is allowed between signing the paper log and logging online, and it's hard to prove that he won't ever log online sometime in the future.

Excellent point.

And for that matter, if a cacher logs his find online but doesn’t sign the paper log, one can also now prove only that he has not yet followed the rule as well, as he may have simply forgotten his pencil on the first visit, and it's hard to prove that he won't ever return to add his name to the paper log sometime in the future.

Hopefully the next set of rules will include time limitation statutes. Are the rule writers and lawyers working on that? It’s important.

And for that matter, if a cacher logs his find online but doesn’t sign the paper log, one can also now prove only that he has not yet followed the rule as well, as he may have simply forgotten his pencil on the first visit, and it's hard to prove that he won't ever return to add his name to the paper log sometime in the future.

Hopefully the next set of rules will include time limitation statutes. Are the rule writers and lawyers working on that? It’s important.

I assumed that you are supposed to do the rules in the order listed so that even if you did them all you would not be geocaching if you did them out of order. However this is not explicitly stated, so perhaps you could log your experience at www.geocaching.com first, then write about your find in the cache logbook, and finally, leave something in the cache and take something of a lesser or equal value. :unsure:

I assumed that you are supposed to do the rules in the order listed so that even if you did them all you would not be geocaching if you did them out of order. However this is not explicitly stated, so perhaps you could log your experience at www.geocaching.com first, then write about your find in the cache logbook, and finally, leave something in the cache and take something of a lesser or equal value. :unsure:

... and all before the cache is ever listed. :ph34r: Or even hidden. :P:D