Loading custom maps to Garmin 60Cx

popop

Hate to interupt all the fun chatter about the new Garmins but I have an old question I can't quite figure out.

Tried to load a custom map to a buddies 60cx (preloaded micro sd card with West ) and Mapsource warned me that it would erase the data already on the micro sd. So we backed out of the process until I could get an answer about how to load more maps (custom or otherwise) when there is a micro sd (purchased already loaded with US topo west).

Tried the search but wasn't seeing what I needed.......

Thanks.

Hate to interupt all the fun chatter about the new Garmins but I have an old question I can't quite figure out.

Tried to load a custom map to a buddies 60cx (preloaded micro sd card with West ) and Mapsource warned me that it would erase the data already on the micro sd. So we backed out of the process until I could get an answer about how to load more maps (custom or otherwise) when there is a micro sd (purchased already loaded with US topo west).

Thanks.

You can't add it to the preloaded card and you can't modify the file already there. You can load it into system memory, but not the card. I'd suggest locking the SD card so it can't be written to. What I have done is rename the existing map and then load the new map if there is room. I wouldn't suggest it though. It does work as a temporary workaround, but you can't use both maps at the same time. Hope that makes sense to you...

Thanks.

Good thing you backed out. Yes, when any maps are loaded onto the micro sd memory card all exisiting maps are erased. To have various types of maps (CN, Topo, custom map, Blue Chart, etc.) on the memorey card all must be loaded to your memory card at the same time. For your buddy to get the custom map he needs to get another memory card for you to load it to so he won't loose his preloaded Garmin maps on his exisiting memory card. That is the downfall of buying preloaded memory cards.

Getting a second sd card looks like it's the answer. His use of custom maps is going to very minimal, that's why he went with the preloaded one. It's just that we went on a hike the other day and I would have liked to have loaded up THIS great "trails only" custom mapset so he could see the trail laid over topo.

I've not had to mess with this issue since I'm still using my old 60C (looking to upgrade this fall, however)