TB idea to commemorate a military career

tazmanaf

Hello all. I am brand new to geocaching. In fact, I haven't even started yet, but have heard so much about it that I'm itching to get out and get my GPS unit and go hunting.

I believe I saw in one of the posts that someone is sending something around the world to commemorate their military service to where they've all been, etc. I thought that was a great idea and would love to do the same thing for myself (today is my 21st anniversary in the Air Force).

My question is what kind of item would be the best to send on the journey? How would I go about setting it free to start? I have quite an extensive list of places I've been. I'll still be in for another 4-5 years; enough time to make it back to me before I retire?

Thanks for all your help!

You'll need to purchase a travel bug tag so you can track it online.

As for what to release click this thread link for ideas. Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

To release it just drop it into a cache and log it online.

More details here HOW TO LOG A TRAVEL BUG

Time-wise, travel bugs are tricky. They can travel great distances only to sit for months. Just release thing and let it go as it will. There's no real reason to end it's travel after a few years.

I think the most important thing about travel bugs is never release anything you aren't willing to lose.

I think the most important thing about travel bugs is never release anything you aren't willing to lose.

And don't get too attached to it, it may disappear after having completed 90% of it's mission.

Buying a pack of 8 Travel Bugs and creating a team of 8 Travel Bugs would augment your chances of completing such a tricky mission. (travel to all the places you have visited during your 21 years in the service)

If you are in the Air Force, buying 8 small die cast replicas of Air Force jets and sending them on their way would be pretty cool.

Good luck!

Georges

Edit: just noticed you were in the air force, removed reference to army.

Edited by Userzero
I believe I saw in one of the posts that someone is sending something around the world to commemorate their military service to where they've all been, etc. I thought that was a great idea and would love to do the same thing for myself (today is my 21st anniversary in the Air Force).
FWIW (probably nothing), depending on how you go about "celebrating" or commemorating it, technically caches/listings like these can be considered a violation of the listing guidelines (just something to be aware of in the "social agendas" realm). Personally, I think it sounds like a fun/great idea and "more power to you" to coin a phrase. I must also admit that NoSuchCache and I have talked about a similar sort of release for another person, too, so.... just thought that the "potential problem" should at least be mentioned in-passing so that you're aware of possible grief on-down the line (griefers be darned, eh?).

Congrats (and thanks), by the way, for such long service... but I'll stop short of anything else now (for reasons previously mentioned).

Edited by russellvt