Cache size?

SKS

When is it legitimate to list a cache size as unknown? Is is simply up to the cache owner or are there other guidelines that apply?

If you don't know what size the container was when you hid your cache then you should list it as unknown. Honestly, why would you want to list it as unknown? If you are trying to make it a difficult cache and the only way you can do it is by listing the size as unknown then I would suggest that you need to rethink your hide.

I've seen a lot of caches listed as unknown size when the cammo was larger than the actual container (no matter what size the container). I prefer they do that myself. Otherwise I get my mind set to look for something too small and look in all the wrong sorts of places.

A few times I've seen that used for unusual containers or places where giving the size would totally spoil the hunt because they are the only thing that size in the area.

If I hide a footlocker out in the woods, I might want to list it as an unknown size just to surprise people when they get to the location.