eTrex Legend HCX - need maps for more detail...right?

Casper29

Help!

I'm pretty much a newbie still -- only found a handful of caches, but my husband has been the one to actually find them first. :D What I think I may need are more details on my GPS.

In surfing the forums the last couple days, I've noticed that the Garmin eTrex Legend HCX (what I have) usually needs another purchased map from Garmin to be really beneficial in hunting caches.

So - what map should I get?

Is it better to order the map on CD/DVD and load to my own purchased mini SD card?

Or should I order the map preformatted on a mini SD card?

Also, I'm sort of confused on how to work everything. I feel like I've done a lot of legwork online to research the how-tos, etc.

Do cachers pretty much use GSAK with Garmin GPS units? I guess I'm looking for a lot of random help here, so any tips or tricks for how you all manage the caches and/or which maps would be most useful for the extreme noob, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Actually, you really don't need any maps on your GPS at all to find caches. Low end units like the Yellow Garmin eTrex don't even have the capability for maps and yet it remains one of the most common units used for Geocaches.

Input the coordintes, follow the compass screen with the distance countdown and you will get as close as anybody else with fancier GPS units. Ingeneral all of our handheld units have an accuracy of about 20 - 25 feet. Don't expect the unit to get you much closer. Learn to think like a hider - where would you haide something? Look for anything unusual or out of place. Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not quite the right color etc. Look up, not all caches are on the ground.

Maps can make getting close to the spot a bit easier but do little to help you find the actual cache.

I'm also learning to use my new Legend HCx. What I found is that when I'm caching near home, or somewhere where the streets are familiar, or in a regional park, lack of roads on the GPSr is not an issue. Also it happens that I live in an area where new roads and freeways are going up every 10 minutes, so that was an argument against getting City Navigator NT.

BUT... our caching quests are starting to take us into unfamiliar territory - for example, neighborhood parks two suburbs over. So I ended up getting CityNav for that, and it'll be interesting to see how to work with it in a couple of weeks when we vacation somewhere with long-established roads.

Edited by TellMeIfYouSeeAChicken

Help!

First off... Don't Panic!

Unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, you can start off with a blank microSD card and download some free maps. Ibycus makes a nice set for free that will get you started. Here is the link:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/

After you get the hang of using MapSource and loading maps etc., you can look into upgrading them with some store bought maps.

Help!

First off... Don't Panic!

Unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket, you can start off with a blank microSD card and download some free maps. Ibycus makes a nice set for free that will get you started. Here is the link:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/

After you get the hang of using MapSource and loading maps etc., you can look into upgrading them with some store bought maps.

Thanks for the tip - I have found a few inexpensive options for the micro sd card - so I do believe I will start there. Thanks everybody!

I have city navigator and topo on my GPS. Neither of these pieces of software are necessary, they just make the hunt easier. City Navigator because it will auto route you close to the cache location. This can save gas and time in an area that you are not familiar with. Topo because it lets me know which side of the creek I should be hiking up, and in some cases if there is a 4X4 road that will get me closer.