Need help figuring out my eTrex H gps! I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out this dam thing!

:D My husband and I just got this stupid Garmin eTrex H today and I can't figure out how to enter coordinates in it so that it'll help me find them. I would even be happy if I could figure out how to make this dam thing just show the coordinates of where I am and have them change as I am walking around so I can use it to find caches. PLEASE, if someone has one of these will you help me with this. Thanks, Duditzbambam

First, the unit needs to download the curret almanac data from the sats. Turn it on and let it sit with a good sky view for several minets and it will get the info.

Second, you need to mark a waypoint and then edit the co-ords to match a cache page. See the Quick start on doing this.

Thanks for the info. The problem I am dealing with is when I go to enter the coordinates this GPS won't let me enter a high enough number in the coordinates. It's like it only goes so high. I have done this before with my old GPS but this one has me stumped. I guess I can always take it back to the store and ask one of the people there to help me.

You probably don't have it set to the correct coordinate format.

To elaborate a bit, the coordinates on GC.com are set up in the format ddd mm.mmm (degree, minutes, decimal minutes). I would bet that your unit is set up for ddd mm.sss (degrees, minutes and seconds). The latter is fine if you are using it with some application that provides coordinates in that format, but it won't play well with GC.com. In particular, the unit knows that there are never more than 59 seconds in a minute, so the unit won't let you "mis-enter" coordinates in that format. Find the manual, go to "set up" find the coordinate format setting, and change it to ddd mm.mmm and then enter the GC coordinates. You be much less frustrated then. Edited by Sputnik 57