Garmin Rino 530HCx Questions

Rerock

Hi, I got a Lowrance H2O for a wedding gift a couple of years ago, and it's agreat unit; but out family needs are changing, so I'm shopping.

I saw the Rino 530HCx, and it seems to be just what my family needs.

I have a couple fo questions about it I was hoping someone will know and I couldn't find anything relevant online.

1) For the radio, 5w Tx power will realistically get you about a 2-2.5mi range in teh woods. What about a realistic range in the woods for the 14w?

2) Do you need to buy the FCC license to use (unlock?) the higher power, or is it available; but you're just not supposed to use it?

3) Is the radio compatible with other brands of FRS radios? Ex. Motorola, Midland, Cobra, etc? I'm in a 4WD club and we use FRS instead of CB's. It would be way cool if they did.

Other than that I think I found out all I need to know.

If anyone has answers or first-hand knowledge, I'd certainly appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Eric

Hi, I got a Lowrance H2O for a wedding gift a couple of years ago, and it's agreat unit; but out family needs are changing, so I'm shopping.

I have a couple fo questions about it I was hoping someone will know and I couldn't find anything relevant online.

1) For the radio, 5w Tx power will realistically get you about a 2-2.5mi range in teh woods. What about a realistic range in the woods for the 14w?

2) Do you need to buy the FCC license to use (unlock?) the higher power, or is it available; but you're just not supposed to use it?

3) Is the radio compatible with other brands of FRS radios? Ex. Motorola, Midland, Cobra, etc? I'm in a 4WD club and we use FRS instead of CB's. It would be way cool if they did.

If anyone has answers or first-hand knowledge, I'd certainly appreciate the insight.

Thanks!

Eric

1) All FRS frequency radios all have a claim. I have a set of Motorolas which claim 14 miles. I have never seen it. Maybe 1.5 miles if that I have ever seen. I do have another set of audiovox Walkies and they have your low power and high power. Your not suppose to use high power unless you have a FCC license. Obviously in a emergency situation I wouldm't really care too much whether I had one or not. Range is always really touchy on all these. I heard they range them by being on a flat ground with no obstructions and thats how they determine range. I called motorola on it and thats what they told me, obstructions really cut down on the range. I use them in my group when we go out caching in case one of us scouts ahead or goes after another cache.

2) Yes, by law you should but there is nothing to unlock on the unit. They trust you. You should only use it on high power if you have a GMRS license.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm...=general_mobile

2) Totally compatible. Some have privacy freq. that others cannot get to like the motorolas but if you keep them on the same channel and freq. they are all compatible.

As for the rhino I have heard some issues with it, in regards to tracking other rhino users in range and some accuracy stuff. Do a search in the forums for more info on this.

Thanks!

Eric

Our family owns three Rino 530HCx since May. Since we bought them for Geocaching and the units show the "drift" problem that seems to affect models with the MediaTek chip (Vista HCx, Colorado) we are currently not that happy. Garmin is right now in the process of sending us replacement units and we hope that they won't show the "drift" problem. Taken that one BIG problem aside we like the units a lot. We allow our children to go geocaching for different caches at the same time. We can see their position on the screen and can talk to them on the walkie-talkie. That is a great experience. To answer your questions

1) There are three settings 0.5W (FRS), 2W (limit for Canada), 5W (GMRS). There is no 14W setting. The advertised range for the 5W setting is up to 14 miles. In our experience we have not been able to communicate beyond 2.5 miles (in a forest setting while geocaching)

2) You are supposed to get a GMRS license when using more than 0.5W. Technically nothing prevents you from using 5W. It is all up to your conscience

3) Yes. We actually use our Rinos together with Motorolas in situations where one parent is back at camp with a Motorola preparing dinner while the other parent is in the forest "watching" the kids geocaching while geocaching at the same time.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go search about taht drift you were talking about.

I'm glad to hear that they'll work with Morotola's and such. That was basically the only thing preventing me from getting these.

Talked to the wife, and it sounds like 530HCx's all around for Christmas with some ToPo sfotware and accessories.

One other question. On my Lowrance I can set an alarm if you stray outside of a given perimeter. Given teh vast features on these things, I'd assume you can do that too. Say establish a .75mi perimeter from camp, and tell the kid not to exceed that...

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go search about taht drift you were talking about.

I'm glad to hear that they'll work with Morotola's and such. That was basically the only thing preventing me from getting these.

Talked to the wife, and it sounds like 530HCx's all around for Christmas with some ToPo sfotware and accessories.

One other question. On my Lowrance I can set an alarm if you stray outside of a given perimeter. Given teh vast features on these things, I'd assume you can do that too. Say establish a .75mi perimeter from camp, and tell the kid not to exceed that...

There are several posts about the drift problem. One is here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186593. There are other posts discussing this problem on other GPS receivers like the Colorado which has the same GPS chip.

I have not seen the functionality you are describing - getting an alarm when straying outside of a certain perimeter. The Rino offers the opposite function - a proximity alarm, where you get an alarm when you enter a perimeter. You can for example use that to be warned early on about red light cameras that you downloaded as POIs to your GPS :D

Edited by Orienteering

There are several posts about the drift problem. One is here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=186593. There are other posts discussing this problem on other GPS receivers like the Colorado which has the same GPS chip.

I have not seen the functionality you are describing - getting an alarm when straying outside of a certain perimeter. The Rino offers the opposite function - a proximity alarm, where you get an alarm when you enter a perimeter. You can for example use that to be warned early on about red light cameras that you downloaded as POIs to your GPS :D

Your question in regard to an alarm when straying outside of a certain parameter made me curious. There is actually functionality on the Rino that provides that. I was just not aware of it. It is called "Anchor Drag Alarm" and can be found under the Marine Setup. Since I don't sail I never ever looked there. This functionality makes sure that the unit warns you when you drift outside of a certain perimeter. So that iseems to be exactly what you were looking for.