Refurbished GPS

Has anyone used a referbished gps?

I'm in the market for a new GPS, and I have found some pretty cheap prices for refurbished garmins. I am nervous about the whole refurbished thing and would like other people's input as to whether or not going refurbished is a good route.

Thanks!

Bajabetty

I'm in the market for a new GPS, and I have found some pretty cheap prices for refurbished garmins. I am nervous about the whole refurbished thing and would like other people's input as to whether or not going refurbished is a good route.

Thanks!

Bajabetty

Using one now with out a hitch. Checkout the warranty, most refubs carry a reasonable warranty.

Jim

Other than my gps, almost all electronics in my house, including my wireless network components are refurbished products. Refurbished products are generally AT LEAST AS GOOD AND SOMETIMES BETTER than new products. When a company refurbishes a product they often undergo even more rigorous testing than new products. It takes a stable device to pass these tests. I have owned refurbed gps's in the past (Garmin 76, Garmin Geko) and both of these performed flawlessly. I would highly recommend you go ahead and purchase the refurbed gps if you find a good price. Also they generally carry at least a 1-year warranty. Most electronic devices tend to show their faults early anyway if there are any present. Go ahead and buy, and good luck. At least that's my humble opinion.

I recently bought a refurbished Delorme PN-20 from TigerGPS and it comes with full street and topo mapping of the U.S., 1 GB SD card and reader, $100 of free downloads from their web site. It's been awesome at $199.99 compared to $349.99 brand new. Love It.

I've been contemplating getting one of these based on their great forum, maps and support but didn't want to spend over $250.00. This has been a great GPS. Much better than my old Explorist 210, Map 330 and Garmin etrex.

Thanks!

Bajabetty

Using one now with out a hitch. Checkout the warranty, most refubs carry a reasonable warranty.

Jim

What's better HC or Cx? The HC has high sensitivity receiver but Cx has microcard capabilities.

What's better HC or Cx? The HC has high sensitivity receiver but Cx has microcard capabilities.

I'd say that depends on if you intend to get any extra maps (Topo or Turn by Turn) for the unit. You really need a microcard capability if you want anything other than the built-in basemap. Otherwise, if you're just going to use it for pointing the way to a cache in the field, I'd go with the "H".

Purchasing a factory refurb from an authorized Garmin dealer is a really good idea. They come with the same warranty as new, so there’s really no risk. Those who sell them and those who have bought them usually say the only difference they can tell between the refurbs and new is the price and the box they come in. Because these units have been recently overhauled and tend to be purchased quickly, they usually come with the latest firmware, as opposed to a new unit that may have been sitting on the shelf for a while. I bought one from getfeetwet.com and am completely pleased. It had all the same stuff in the box as a new one. It even had the plastic film over the display. Buy from a reputable Garmin dealer, and you can’t really go wrong.