Garmin track transfer into Nat Geo Topo?

I have seen inquiries to see if you can go from Topo into GPS with waypoints, etc.

My question:

Can I import a track from my Garmin Legend into my Nat Geo topo software. I see there is an 'import' feature, but as of now I cannot do it with a track.

K

As an aside and an FYI to anyone who might want to know.

I can and did export from Garmin into Google Earth Plus which was nice, excepting that Earth Plus is very very much much slower than regular Google Earth. So slow it was pretty much unusable.

Can I import a track from my Garmin Legend into my Nat Geo topo software. I see there is an 'import' feature, but as of now I cannot do it with a track.

Yes. With your Legend connected to the PC and NG Topo open, go to Handhelds/Import (From GPS or .txt)/ then either check the radio button for 'In a GPS connected to PC', or 'In a GPX file' if you have downloaded a track and saved it locally.

It gives choices to make the track continuous or to make it a string of waypoints. I don't have data in front of me to give exact details, but I do use this a lot to bring my track data into NG Topo.

Well, I tried what you said. I think I had tried that previously also. Does not work for me. Topo does not recognize my GPS (Garmin Legend). So I tried putting track into EasyGPS and then finding it (that was a chore) and it seemed to import it somehow when I went back to Topo and tried as a file, but it is lost somewhere in there.

I think that Topo is great for basic mapping and making you own routes, but it fails in so many other ways since GPS came out. It seems that map programs want to be so proprietory that they frustrate all of us and in fact make it so that we give up and drop out of the GPS vs mapping thing altogether.

My inclination is to never buy another map program or GPS after the major headaches in time and effort spent working to do what seems like should be simpler.

After all, I's rather be out there geocaching, hiking, mountain biking, etc instead of sitting for hours in front of this computer with nothing to show for the effort but aggravation.

Paper maps are the best. At least they are understandable.

What version of NG Topo are you running?

Do you have Mapsource? You can export to GPX from there and import into NG Topo. I’ve had no problems importing GPX files into NG Topo (or directly from a 60CSx). Tracks do end up as trails/lines in NG Topo; you can not then export with all the original track information.

Topo does not recognize my GPS (Garmin Legend).
That is your whole problem.

I’m not familiar with you’re the Legend. Also there are different versions of the Legend. Is the connection USB or serial? NG TOPO! didn’t add support for USB until version 4.x, if I recall correctly. As someone else asked, what version are you using?

NG TOPO! Works fine for me using version 4-something and my 76CSx. I can import tracks, no problem.

Edited by roybassist

Timpat, the only option I see for importing is "In a .gpx file that contains waypoints and/or routes in it". I do not see an option for a .gpx file with tracks. What am I missing?

“routes” is NG Topo’s term for tracks in this case. It will import them as a series of waypoints or as a line/trail.