Garmin Colorado 300 versus 400t street map differences?

Hi all,

Forgive me if this has been answered already. I've been reading all the Colorado threads for months, so I hope I didn't miss it. Also, I couldn't find the answer on g-o-casher's website. M2 in the Maps section doesn't seem to indicate any difference in the level of detail of the "base" map.

Anyway, a friend has the 400t, without any City Navigator software -- he just has what came in the 400t box.

Likewise, I have a 300, also nothing extra (just what came in the box).

The 400t shows much greater street detail -- i.e. it shows all the residential streets. My 300 only shows the major streets (around here, in L.A. and Orange Counties in CA, that means the streets on a one mile grid), and none of the residential ones. I only see the orange colored main streets, but none of the grey colored minor (residential) streets.

Is something wrong with my 300? Am I missing some map files or something? I just got my 300, and haven't loaded or deleted anything, yet. In fact, I have not even connected it to my PC, yet.

Do the 300 and 400t have different detail levels for city streets? BTW, I did find the options that let you specify the level of detail for the maps. It started at "Normal" and so I bumped it up to "Most". I tried this from both the Automotive profile and the Geocaching profile.

I am running software version 2.50 (that's what it came with). Okay, I just hooked up the unit to my PC, and see that the main map file, gmapbmap.img, is about 93 MB.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Edited by george_k

The 400t comes preloaded with Topo2008 maps that have much more street detail than the 300 basemap.

GO$Rs

Ahhh... that explains it -- thanks! The name "topo" threw me off. I thought that the topo map only provided topographical information (i.e. those elevation line things). I didn't realize that it also included extra street details. Thanks for the clarification -- it was driving me nuts trying to figure out whether I had to tweak a setting or if perhaps I was missing some file(s).

Thanks,

George