Route Averaging

russellvt

Looks like (as of a few weeks ago now) that "caches along a route" are being averaged (ie. or at least the points between that make up a route are significantly reduced following upload). Just FYI, I'm using Mapsource with the "track" feature to save off my routes as a GPX file before I upload them to the website.

So, the scenario I'm noticing is that if I create a route with close-to-five-hundred points, it seems that Groundspeak will effectively "average" those points down to something closer to fifty points. Unfortunately, over a large distance with twisty/turn'y areas and a rather narrow band of search, it seems those are often/possibly very different results (at least as far as my path taken through those points is concerned).

Just this last weekend, for example, our "caches within a half mile" along a few hundred mile route ended up off a couple of miles -- which, of course, we weren't about to change our route to go chase. And, of course, this in-turn makes the "caches along a route" less usefull (to us) as we most often use it in the exact scenario, above... usually long drives where we want a "quick on/off a highway" (or rest stop caches) where we're not driving any further than we might otherwise to stop for gas. Yeah, I concede there are still a decent number of caches that fall in to the "acceptable parameters" I described, but there are still patches where watching the caches fly by a decent distance away is pretty... well... silly.

Apologies, as I meant to post this a few weeks ago when I first noticed it, but managed to not do it (and I know this was previously working a bit differently than above)... but I just got bit by this again and wanted to see if there's possibly some feedback...

Regards,

Russell