topo software for Triton

I'm currently waiting for my Triton 1500 to show up as a factory replacement for my recently deceased Explorist XL. From what I've read, the Triton is campatable with the Nat Geo topo maps, but I'd like to know if it will also work with the Mapsend Topo that I already own? Even the tech rep to gave me the new unit couldn't answer the question. I don't want to pay $99 for each state topo when I already have the entire country on CD.

I'm currently waiting for my Triton 1500 to show up as a factory replacement for my recently deceased Explorist XL. From what I've read, the Triton is campatable with the Nat Geo topo maps, but I'd like to know if it will also work with the Mapsend Topo that I already own? Even the tech rep to gave me the new unit couldn't answer the question. I don't want to pay $99 for each state topo when I already have the entire country on CD.

Yeh the mapsend topo 3D will work on it.

And good thing it does too because the Triton's basemaps are soo useless it's embarrassing.

That is for sure!!!! I am a newbie at caching and I bought a new Triton but the base map is soooo useless. I bought a cheap black & white gps first and it had complete usa map....was much more useful. So I ordered TOPO Explorer from Nat Geo and then..got it yesterday and havent been able to figure out how to get it on the Triton. Man, this is MUCH harder than it needs to be.

Edited by Team Coco-Bill & Mitzi

My Mapsend Topo USA will only upload to GPS and the regions I create have are saved as a .rgn. Does anybody know how to change the file type?

My Mapsend Topo USA will only upload to GPS and the regions I create have are saved as a .rgn. Does anybody know how to change the file type?

In your Mapsend Topo software there should be a program called Conversion Manager that you can use to convert the older .rgn to .imi files for your GPS.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I might find myself a decent basemap for Canada (specifically Ontario) that'll go on a Triton 300? Or even if such a beast exists?

I can't tell you about the Triton (never used one) but the NA Explorists came loaded with a NA Basemap That covered Canada, the US and Mexico. If you are talking about detail Canadian maps Magellan did sell a Mapsend Topo 3D Canada version. As a matter of fact I saw an Explorist 400 "Wilderness Bundle" (NIB) sell on Ebay last week. That one had the Canadian detail maps software. The winning bid was $75. You could've had Mapsend Canada and an extra GPS to boot. Keep an eye out there.

The bottom line is this for the Tritons - It will take any .imi maps created with thier s/n imbeedded.

So that means Topo 3D USA v 1.00, Direct Route North America, Topo Canada V 1.00 and direct Route Europe V 2.00 - These all work with the Crossover and the Explorist series that take maps.

Max reg map size is set to 64 meg and it complains about processing more then one region at a time.

As I save to Harddisk because the Crossover does NOT talk to the software I can process more regions at a time - just tell it to process anyways.

You can increase the map size limit by editing the mapsend.ini file and upping it there.

I just copied the whole line and pasted it below itself - then I inserted a ";" to comment the line out then I changed 65353 to 131072 which equals 1024 X 128 on the new line so now I can create 128 meg regions which allows me to have all of southern Ont and some of Quebec and go right up past Timmins. The map loads fine and I don't have to worry about swapping maps when going to the Soo.

John

Edited by Ezeechair