Megellan Triton 400

SkellyCA

Hi everyone; I'm new to geocaching and have a few questions about my GPS

What's your opinion of the Magellan Tritan 400?

I see quite a few Geocashers use Garmin's; I went with the Triton because it works with the National Geographic TOPO maps which I already own. The Garmins never mentioned them. The Trition does have a Geocache Profile and you can store locations as Geocashes; I don't know if Garmins do that.

What other maps will work with the Triton 400?

How do Megellans compare with Garmins?

Anything else I need to know?

I have Triton 200. It is very nice unit and I like it a lot. You do need to go thru some hassles to get it setup properly but so far it has been working great. You will find a lot of people complaining about Triton series but from my experience if you have the latest firmware and learn how to use the menu, the GPSr will work great. There are some features that are still disabled and will appear in the next firmware update(s). Sensitivity is great. The only time GPSr lost the signal it was under highway overpass. Trees are no match for it. Menu is fairly easy to understand. Buttons are one of the things I complain about. It hurts fingers to press them but I guess that's what you pay if you want the receiver to be waterproof. I have invested also in bicycle mount so I use the Triton for geocaching and biking. There is no easy way to switch from route to geocache and back though. I have Mapsend Topo USA version 4.2 that I use to load detail maps onto the GPSr. It is not a 1-2-3 process but once you get a hold of all the conversion software needed, it takes about 5-10 minutes to create detailed map.

Good luck with geocaching.

Thank you!

Now I have a problem...

I purchased a 2GB PNY SD card and for some reason it's not working. I go to format it and it doesn't say it doid or didn't format it. It doesn't show up in the memory setting and when I try to download my TOPO map it tells me not enough memory and that I need an SD card.

Does it take a special card?

Well, my T200 does not have SD card slot so I can't really help you there. One thing you could do is to make sure you have latest firmware. You can update Triton thru VantagePoint software. I think card should be formatted with FAT32 file system.

Hi everyone; I'm new to geocaching and have a few questions about my GPS

What's your opinion of the Magellan Tritan 400?

I see quite a few Geocashers use Garmin's; I went with the Triton because it works with the National Geographic TOPO maps which I already own. The Garmins never mentioned them. The Trition does have a Geocache Profile and you can store locations as Geocashes; I don't know if Garmins do that.

What other maps will work with the Triton 400?

How do Megellans compare with Garmins?

Anything else I need to know?

I have a Triton 400 and I like it a lot, I've only been caching for a few months now and it only took me a couple of days to figure out all the functions.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know how to mark a cache as found on the Tritons?

I just found the SD card memory usage fuction; it says I hace 1917MB available, so that's right.

I also would like to know how to mark a cashe as found. I found my first one today, and I went to sign the logbook and my pen died. so I'll have to sign it tomorrow. Just my luck, pen dies...pffft

How do change the icons?

When you select Menu/GoTo and choose Geocache from the menu, you will get list of all nearby geocaches. Pick the one you found and highlight the icon to the left of the cache name. Click select and on the next screen bo down once and once to the left to highlight the icon (box). When it is highlighted, click select and pick a new icon.

I have Triton 200. It is very nice unit and I like it a lot. You do need to go thru some hassles to get it setup properly but so far it has been working great. You will find a lot of people complaining about Triton series but from my experience if you have the latest firmware and learn how to use the menu, the GPSr will work great. There are some features that are still disabled and will appear in the next firmware update(s). Sensitivity is great. The only time GPSr lost the signal it was under highway overpass. Trees are no match for it. Menu is fairly easy to understand. Buttons are one of the things I complain about. It hurts fingers to press them but I guess that's what you pay if you want the receiver to be waterproof. I have invested also in bicycle mount so I use the Triton for geocaching and biking. There is no easy way to switch from route to geocache and back though. I have Mapsend Topo USA version 4.2 that I use to load detail maps onto the GPSr. It is not a 1-2-3 process but once you get a hold of all the conversion software needed, it takes about 5-10 minutes to create detailed map.

Good luck with geocaching.

I started caching back in '03 with a Magellan Meridian Green and it worked great and still does. I recently purchased a Triton 400 just to have a new GPS'r. Question: In the Meridian on the map screen there is a Speed and Distance section which would go all the way down to 1 foot. Is there such a thing on the Triton? All I see is a Distance label of 0.0 which I assume only goes to 0.1 and then it says 0.0 as you get closer to a cache. Does this device display down to 100 feet, 50 feet. 20 feet etc...?

Thanks

There is no way to mark cache as found (yet). What I do (and most of Triton users) is, I change the cache's icon to the frog picture. This way I have boxes for new caches and frogs for found ones.

That is exactly what I've been doing, thanx for verifying that there is no found feature.

The only problem with that is when you add new caches and you don't filter out your finds on your PQs vantage point will duplicate it, because the icon is different.

I started caching back in '03 with a Magellan Meridian Green and it worked great and still does. I recently purchased a Triton 400 just to have a new GPS'r. Question: In the Meridian on the map screen there is a Speed and Distance section which would go all the way down to 1 foot. Is there such a thing on the Triton? All I see is a Distance label of 0.0 which I assume only goes to 0.1 and then it says 0.0 as you get closer to a cache. Does this device display down to 100 feet, 50 feet. 20 feet etc...?

Thanks

I am using the map screen to zero out on a cache. Works pretty good for me. I think you can also use the compass view where the green arrow will be North and the small black one is the cache location. I haven't used that screen so I do not know if there is a way to see the actual distance to the cache.