Geocoin and TB ettiquette (or how many can I hold onto)

cgutzmer

I am in Denver training for business. I am picking up several coins/tb's that I can help out in their goals. Is there any kind of base ettiquette as to how many I can hold onto so I can take them back to wisconsin for dispersal? Also when picking these up should I be doing one for one trades on them like when I take my kids and they trade an item for an item?

I have quite a few coins/TB's in my possession already.... I am considering opening a cache in a nearby park (about two blocks away) at home as a cache and dash (ammo box sized) hotel to help bugs move quickly through the area. If I do this can I just start it with my current holdings?

Thanks!

Chris

If you can help a TB or coin with it's goal, there is no limit on how helpful you can be! There is no "trading" etiquette with trackables. They are to be taken and moved.

If you can have your TB hotel up and running within two weeks (the standard time that you can hold onto a TB without problem), go for it. Please don't set the restriction that you must leave a TB to take a TB. Those are known as TB prisons and often get ignored!

very cool - thanks :) I would never set that kind of restriction and if someone does set that restriction I hope it gets ignored by other cachers :D

I did pick up one coin that I will be holding onto for over a month - it wants to go to France and I will be going there in late July. I emailed the owner and asked permission to hold onto it for that long....

Thanks for this site - its very informative :)

Chris

Sounds good to me. As long you are good at logging all the coins you take and move. Don't hold them super long, and respect the goals of the trackables, but go ahead and move all you want to. I would rather have a good responsible people move a lot of coins than people who don't log them, hold on to them long periods of time, lose them, or steal.

TB hotels/motels/depots... I am wary of them myself. They seem like a coin thief magnet, and are often placed in "convenient" places for travellers which might make them more exposed to getting muggled. If you do setup a TB hotel make sure it is a in a very well hidden place where muggles will not have any chance of accidentally stumbling across it. I am pretty new to caching as well, but my reactions to some TB hotels is basically I can't beleive people think this is a "safe" spot to leave coins... where by my way of thinking it should be the opposite, TB hotels should be among best hidden caches out there, far away from normal muggle areas.

Along the same vein, if you do bring back a lot of coins try to spread them out. If you place a lot of coins all in one cache and a coin thief or muggle did find it, they could get them all in one shot. Spread them out across several caches just to be safe.

Actually I know a couple other cachers where I work and I was going to see if they wanted to help me spread them around :) - if I couldnt get my own hotel going.

The park I am considering is a slightly rundown park in front of an old YMCA (that used to be the old high school) so I think it might be a good candidate. Now that I have a few finds under my belt I am getting better at finding good locations so when I get back I will give it a good looking over to see if its relly suitable or not - then spread them out as needed :D

Chris

In my opinion, it is OK to hold on to as many coins or TBs as you are able to move on within the "expected" time of two weeks. TBs and coins are meant to travel; if you can help, then go for it. I have picked up a dozen at a time when heading out on a week long photography trip out of state. I was able to place them all within a week of my getting them.

BTW, your thoughtfulness in asking about the coin you could take to France was, I'm sure, well appreciated. I have had a few TBs that were held for over a month because the cacher was going to be able to take the TB to a special cache that fit the TB's mission. Asking me if it was OK was great - I didn't worry when the coin sat for a few extra weeks, and I was excited about where I knew it was headed eventually. I wish more cachers would show that same thoughtfulness. Thank you!

I too have concerns about TB hotels. Too often, I see long inventories only to find the cache empty of TBs and coins when I get there. I've pretty much gotten to the point where I don't drop TBs in hotels any more, and I have taken to stating on my own Traveler's pages that I would prefer that they not be taken to event or TB hotel caches.