Great River Road Caching

shroomAzoom

Hi all,

In less than a couple weeks, I'll be driving up the Missippi from St Louis to Minneapolis along the Great River Road. I was hoping to do a bunch of caching along the way. Has anyone created a route (a la caching along a route) for that section of the Great River Road?

I'm from Canada and not too familiar with this area, but it appears that the GRR is a scenic highway system made up of sections of other highways (so it isn't just a matter of creating a route in Google Earth from St Louis to Minneapolis along HWY 35 (for example.)) Any thoughts?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to nabbing some caches in states I haven't cached in before. Thanks for any suggestions!

Darren

Hi all,

In less than a couple weeks, I'll be driving up the Missippi from St Louis to Minneapolis along the Great River Road. I was hoping to do a bunch of caching along the way. Has anyone created a route (a la caching along a route) for that section of the Great River Road?

I'm from Canada and not too familiar with this area, but it appears that the GRR is a scenic highway system made up of sections of other highways (so it isn't just a matter of creating a route in Google Earth from St Louis to Minneapolis along HWY 35 (for example.)) Any thoughts?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to nabbing some caches in states I haven't cached in before. Thanks for any suggestions!

Darren

I was looking in the regional forums for info on the Great River Road when I saw your post. I don't know if you are aware that there is a geocaching event being sponsored by the Mississippi Parkway Commission called the 70th Anniversary GeoCaching Event. They have a specific webpage for the event and are encouraging all 10 states that comprise the Great River Road to place 7 caches along the route so that there will be at least 70 caches. So far only Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Wisconsin have caches out. Part of the contest is to complete a special log sheet and have a total of 10 finds in 3 states to qualify for some prizes. The webpage is http://www.experiencemississippiriver.com/geocaching.cfm.

Hope this helps.