General problems from an old newbie

Entrepid

I've been a cacher for about three years now, yet I've only got 9 finds to my credit. I'm just not very good at caching. I've been blaming it on my GPSr, but I am starting to believe that it's all me. i've got some questions that I don't know the answers to, and was wondering if you guys could help:

1. What model GPS should I go for that won't drain my wallet?

2. What kind of software should I get for my computer to use with my GPS?

3. When should I stop relying on my GPS and start using my spidy sense?

4. Just what is a caching spidy sense, how do I know what it is, and how do I use it?

5. What are some common cache locations that I need to look out for?

6. What items should I bring with me for caching around town, for caching in the local park, and for loner, day-hike length caching forays, as in gear like a daypack and stuff?

7. What kind of trade items should I carry?

8. How do I keep people from spotting me when I'm caching?

9. Any other tips you may have would be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much for any answers to my questions, and, hopefully, I'll be able to hit the 10 or 12 or so caches that are within a mile of my house.

1. What model GPS should I go for that won't drain my wallet?

What would drain your wallet? What would drain Donald Trump's wallet is a lot different than what would drain mine. What is your specific price range?

2. What kind of software should I get for my computer to use with my GPS?

GSAK and/or EasyGPS are good starters. The rest would depend on the model of your unit and if you

want to go "paperless" (meaning having cache pages on your PDA)

3. When should I stop relying on my GPS and start using my spidy sense?

I usually do it when I get to about 40 feet away. If I don't find it after a while I go back to the GPS

4. Just what is a caching spidy sense, how do I know what it is, and how do I use it?

You'll know it when you have it.

5. What are some common cache locations that I need to look out for?

For regular size caches look for URPs and UPOS (Unnatural rock piles and unnatural piles of sticks), hollow trees, stumps, alongside down trees and in rock crevices.

For micros, many are magnetic so check nearby guardrails, street signs and under lamp post skirts. Also check knotholes in trees or for a container hanging inside some sort of evergreen bush.

6. What items should I bring with me for caching around town, for caching in the local park, and for loner, day-hike length caching forays, as in gear like a daypack and stuff?

For around town all I have is my GPS, camera, PDA, a bag with some swag and maybe some bug repellent. For longer hikes, anything you'd take hiking. The 10 essentials (google it if you don't know what they are) , sufficient water, extra clothing, lunch etc.

7. What kind of trade items should I carry?

Totally up to you. In general, small, inexpensive items that others might find useful.

8. How do I keep people from spotting me when I'm caching?

When you find out let the rest of us know.

9. Any other tips you may have would be greatly appreciated

maybe go to an event or two to meet your fellow geocachers and just have fun

Edited by briansnat

Wow that may be too many questions to answer in one sitting. You need to find an event in your area. There are lots of people out there who can answer your questions. I've only been caching for a year and a half but I have over a hundred finds. Here is a try at answering some of your questions....

I have a Garmin Venture HC. It was in the 200 dollar range and I went for the color screen. I also purchased the topographic maps at the same time as my GPS. (It was a deal) The GPS came with the Mapsource software needed to put the caches onto the GPS.

When I am caching I usually stay on a trail whenever possible. Sometimes I consult trail maps to determine where the cache might be so I take the right trail. I still have to bushwack occasionally.

I use the GPS to get within about 20 - 40 feet and then I switch on spidy sense (or my childhood hide and seek brain comes out) I try not to look at the hint until I really can't see the cache.

What you are looking for is a good place to hide a cache the size you are looking for. Sometimes you are looking for a pile of sticks or rocks, sometimes it is a space in a rock wall. Look around the terrain and say if I was a cacher where would I hide the cache. Then be a cacher and look in all those places.

At first I brought a lot of McDonalds toys to the caches and then I got sick of bringing McDonlds toys home with me. My son and I decided we like puzzles and so we trade different types of inexpensive puzzle.

The not getting spotted thing is sometimes easier than you think. Act like your taking a picture. Have a picnic. Do something that fits in with the area you are. Relax and have fun. Bring a friend

Some more suggestions:

1. Don't rely on your GPSr to take you TO the cache. Imagine you are led, blinfolded, into the woods. Then your blinfold is removed and you are told that the cache is somewhere within 40 feet, probably within 20.

2. To get used to your GPSr in finding things, go look for some VIRTUAL caches. You KNOW you're gonna find THEM. :) This will give you a better idea of how your GPSr works, and how close you're likely to get.

3. Go out in your backyard and take the coordinates of your birdfeeder, etc. Then search for those coordinates several times over the next week. You will be surprised where your GPSr will take you!

4. Go after regular sized caches, with a difficulty of 1. Then increase the difficulty and reduce the size as your skill increases.

5. AVOID any caches that haven't been found lately...especially DNFs!!!

6. Look for hints... the title of the cache, the hints provided, the logs ... READ THROUGH THE LOGS!!!

7. Remember, it doesn't have to be on the ground. It can be camouflaged.

8. Imagine where you would hide it.

9. Read the cache page to make sure the cache is at the listed coordinates! If it is a MULTI, the intermediate stages are probably micros! For other caches, the posted coordinates DO NOT lead to the cache. Rather, you need to solve a clue and add some numbers to the coordinates to get the TRUE coordinates.

10. Accept the fact that you won't find them all. :ph34r:

Happy Geocaching!