Geocaching Along a Route

I would like to find geocache along a route, but I am having trouble. The instructions say to use google earth to create the route. My problem is that I do not want to go the route that is created by google earth and I do not know how to change the route. My question is can you use another mapping software to create the route or is there a way to make google earth map the route that I want to take? Thanks

Here's Markwell's discussion on how to use three different methods. Ans here is another one from the Atlantic Canadian Association that uses GSAK and Mapsource amd here is Groundspeaks info on using Google Earth

I use mapsource to create my route. Mapsource has the option to save a route as a .gpx file. Caches along a route will accept a .gpx or .kml file, so plan your route in Mapsource, flie, save as select .gpx, then upload to gc.com.

When I moved from Madison, Wi to Dallas, Tx....I did not want to go the Oklahoma way (shorter but slower and speed traps galore), I wanted to go the Little Rock, AR way (better, faster highways)....but google earth kept taking me the Okie way.

So, I had to create 2 routes to do that. 1 From Madison to Saint Louis, then from Saint Louis to Texarkana to force Google Earth to go that way.

I didn't know of other ways.

You can change the route on the google maps by clicking and dragging a point on the route line to the place where you want to pass through. The map will instantly change to the new route.

Correct, that works for Google MAPS........I don't that works in Google EARTH.

Regarding the original question, the free version of Google Earth will do what you want. Instead of using driving directions, you want to create your own route. Zoom to the area you want. In the menu at the top, click: Add, then Path. Keep adding points to your path until you reach the end. You do not have to follow roads. it can be any direction or shape.

When you are done, name your "path" click OK. You will see the path listed on the left under your Places. Right click on the path name, and save as a .KML file. This whole process start to finish only takes seconds. In the Pocket Query area of this site, import this file, do your filtering and create your PQ.

I would like to find geocache along a route, but I am having trouble. The instructions say to use google earth to create the route. My problem is that I do not want to go the route that is created by google earth and I do not know how to change the route. My question is can you use another mapping software to create the route or is there a way to make google earth map the route that I want to take? Thanks

I use MapSource if google earth doesn't take me the way I want to go. One thing though, you can't just click a start and a finish, I click just about every place the road changes direction.

Here's Markwell's discussion on how to use three different methods. Ans here is another one from the Atlantic Canadian Association that uses GSAK and Mapsource amd here is Groundspeaks info on using Google Earth

I use mapsource to create my route. Mapsource has the option to save a route as a .gpx file. Caches along a route will accept a .gpx or .kml file, so plan your route in Mapsource, flie, save as select .gpx, then upload to gc.com.

Thank you for that wonderful link to the three different methods! I found it very useful and I hope to upload my newly created route for a specific cache soon.