Etrex rubber trim falling off

The rubber surrounding trim on my Etrex Vista Cx has come loose, I've heard this isn't an uncommon problem with this unit, the glue used to hold it together starts to loosen off over time.. How to fix it?

I called Garmin customer service & was expecting to have to send it in to have it replaired. The unit is no longer under warranty so I assumed it would cost a few $'s for the fix. To my surprise & pleasure, Garmin sent me a sort of "replair kit" free of charge(!) consisting of a replacement rubber trim piece and what appears to be a strip of custom cut double sided tape. Thanks Garmin! :blink:

But here's my problem,, the repair kit didn't have any instructions. I assumed I just peel off the old trim & tape, and stick on the replacement one. But.. try as I might I can't get the paper backing off the tape strip they sent me to come apart... and the stip itself seems sooooo thin, is it really double sided tape?

Has anyone fixed their Etrex with such a repair kit. how to do it?? If I can't get it figured out I guess I'll call Garmin back and request an RMA so I can send it in for them to repair. I'm not concerned of the cost, I just want to get my beloved GPSr back together again lol