Just talked with Garmin about HCX

SO I just called Garmin about the inaccuracies with the Vista HCX and how the unit isnt placing me in the spot I am. I just updated the software to 2.60 so i have the lastest software. They told me it was inaccuracies with the topo micro SD i bought from REI, but I wasnt looking at Topo when they called, I was looking at the streets listed in the unit. I sent the support person i talked to to the forums here, and he said according to Garmin there are NO inaccuracies with the unit. And he went on to say that there wasnt enough information on the Forum for him to place a notice. I say we get everyone who has a Vista HCX and have them all list our problems in this forum, then we email the forum to Garmin.

You are going to have to describe what you are complaining about in more detail. There are two issues, one known to Garmin, and one which we are trying to make them aware of. The first is that the streets on the Topo 2008 maps are indeed inaccurately placed. They can be hundreds of feet off. Garmin is aware of this and is not interested in fixing it. That is what they were telling you.

The other problem has nothing to do with maps. The GPS will show a large estimated error and actually show your location quite a distant (~150 feet) from your true location. This can happen even in the clear with excellent reception. Power cycling the unit seems to instantly fix the error. The best guess is that this is associated with the latest chip update 2.60. You need to make it clear to Garmin what you are talking about. When enough of us do that, I think we will get some action.

SO I just called Garmin about the inaccuracies with the Vista HCX and how the unit isnt placing me in the spot I am. ... I say we get everyone who has a Vista HCX and have them all list our problems in this forum, then we email the forum to Garmin.

When I have a problem with John, I don't run to Mary and ask her to make Sure John is aware of the problem. I talk directly to John.

I know some posters here like to voice opinion after opinion here in the forums (usually without having stated specifics of what you are talking about), but calling Garmin directly and talking with them will do the following:

- Let them know in real time about any problems

- Allows Garmin from having to sort out the good information from the bad (and I mean really bad) (non) information here in the forums

- Give you satisfaction of having talking directly with the company that builds the equipment you own

- Possibly give you information that you may not have been aware of when you called