Newbie Vista HCx question

Once I locate a cache, how do I tell the unit that I found it? I know that the cache icon can be changed if it is found but I can't find any info on how to do it. So far I've just gone in manually and changed the name of the cache (i.e. from GCxxxx to Fxxxx) so I can remember which ones I've found until I'm ready to delete them from the unit.

There's got to be a better way?

Once I locate a cache, how do I tell the unit that I found it? I know that the cache icon can be changed if it is found but I can't find any info on how to do it. So far I've just gone in manually and changed the name of the cache (i.e. from GCxxxx to Fxxxx) so I can remember which ones I've found until I'm ready to delete them from the unit.

There's got to be a better way?

If you are going to a cache and the waypoint for the cache is noted by an icon, there should be three buttons at the bottom of the compass page. The one on the lower left is labled "found".

The screen should look something like this:

compass.jpg

As I have suggested to others, you might want to go the garmin site and look up the Vista c in the discontinued section and download the pdf file for the manual for that unit. It's functions are virtually identical with the Vista HCx - but the only manual is a lot more comprehensive than the one that came with your unit.

Edited by jmundinger

The geocaching mode works only with the geocaching icon, which is the treasure box icon. The default icon can be changed to another icon. Using the default icon will give the three options that jmundinger mentions. When you select the "found" link, the treasure box icon turns into a open treasure box.

I am also a newbie Vista Hcx owner, so thanks for the suggestion of downloading the Cx manual. I haven't had time to read it yet, but it seems to have twice as many pages as my manual, so I am hoping that it will answer all of the questions that I was about to bother you all with. Thanks again.

Mike