garmin etrex vista cx

ok so i have the above gps & having problems figuring it out, :lol:

why when i make a route [on mapsource] following the roads i want to follow, then transfer it to the handheld does the stupid thing not stick to the route/roads, i have selected the route on the handheld, selected follow road, but all it says is go east towards the first waypoint on the route, when i get there it says go west to the next 1, theres no proper directions ref to the roads at all, just as the crow flies. its really starting to annoy me now. i'm using city navigator europe by the way.

thanks

ian

ok so i have the above gps & having problems figuring it out, :lol:

why when i make a route [on mapsource] following the roads i want to follow, then transfer it to the handheld does the stupid thing not stick to the route/roads, i have selected the route on the handheld, selected follow road, but all it says is go east towards the first waypoint on the route, when i get there it says go west to the next 1, theres no proper directions ref to the roads at all, just as the crow flies. its really starting to annoy me now. i'm using city navigator europe by the way.

thanks

ian

What maps do you have. It will only stick to the road with the correct maps. Topo maps will not route to the road (In fact in Topo 2008 the roads aren't even in the correct positions.)

The problem is that when you transfer a route using Mapsource, the receiver only gets the waypoints, not the full calculated route. The receiver then re-calculates the route using a slightly different logic than Mapsource. This is a very frustrating limitation. The only solution I've found is to include lots of extra waypoints along the desired route. With enough constraining waypoints, the receiver is forced to route you on roads you want.

Also, you need to make sure you have the receiver set to follow roads. If it is set for off road use, all you get is as-the-crow-flies directions.

Edited by Glenn W

ok i'm running metroguide europe v8, & have loaded all of the uk to the handheld on a 1gb sd card, i then transfer my route (yes its a uk route of about 20way/p's) i created in mapsource on the pc & it just makes no attempt to follow any roads at all even thoe the road maps are there & i have it set to 'follow roads'?? its pretty useless if you can't use the transferred route after all this is the route i want to follow.

thanks for your help chaps

I don't have those maps yet but I do know MetroGuide doesn't support auto routing natively. That could be the problem.

Are you using either MetroGold or MetroWhizz?

Because right now I think you are transferring the waypoints to the unit and then it goese to route to them, you don't have any routable roads to follow. So it gives you as the crow flies. Is is analogous to using Topo for doing this sort of thing. It can't follow the roads since the maps are just a background image to it.

ETA: Metrogold and metrowhizz both turn the autorouting on. You could look into using those products to make the maps auto routing.

Edited by CivilVet

One possibility

City Nav v8 for North America gives the user an option to transfer maps to a receiver without including routing data (i.e., to save memory); I do not know if CN Europe has this option. Is it possible the "include route calculation data" box wasn't checked when you uploaded the maps to your e-Trex? Of course, if street routing behaves normally when you are navigating to an address entered directly into the receiver, you must have transfered the routing data.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that you are running Metroguide, not City Nav as per your first post. As stated above, later versions of MetroGuide do not support autorouting on the receiver without first hacking the software with MetroWhizz or Metrogold.

Edited by Glenn W

Yes sorry i'm running metroguide europe, its gets so confusing so many diff things about.

ok this sounds like the problem because it won't calculate a route to anywhere, mot even Goto. where can i get MetroWhizz or Metrogold? is there somewhere i can download it?

thanks all.