No themes

onecrazycanadian

Ok call me blind or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I'm just starting out and trying to create my first cartridge. My problem is when I want to create a zone and use a map of the local area I get an error saying there is no data in this theme.

So my question is how do get a map or aerial photo to show up in the themes so I can use it to set up my zones?

Hello there,

That problem usually occurs when there is something wrong with your starting location. (I'm assuming you ended up getting bunch of Signals instead of the map --> :):mad::P ...) Did you use coordinates? You can try changing the coordinates, to make sure they're accurate. Why don't you try putting an address?

Let me know if it works out!

J2B2

Hi,

I've tried using both coordinates and an address and in each case when I try and and create a zone from the map or address I still get the error. No data exists for the chosen theme. Try another theme.

I would really love to be able to set the zones up using the map or aerial photos. Could it be that its' not coming up because I'm in Canada?

I did manage to create a zone by setting a coordinate and generating points around it. I could then edit it online where I could see the map and refine the boundaries. However this is a bit of a pain to have to do it that way. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

I've tried using both coordinates and an address and in each case when I try and and create a zone from the map or address I still get the error. No data exists for the chosen theme. Try another theme.

I would really love to be able to set the zones up using the map or aerial photos. Could it be that its' not coming up because I'm in Canada?

I did manage to create a zone by setting a coordinate and generating points around it. I could then edit it online where I could see the map and refine the boundaries. However this is a bit of a pain to have to do it that way. Any other ideas?

Thanks

I had the same issue setting up my first cartridge. I think at the moment maps and aerial photos of Canada are not available in the builder. I ended up using the same method you had success with.

For reasons known only to the authors, the builder uses TerraServer when building a zone initially, both from an address (I think) and from the map (I'm sure). TerraServer is based primarily on information from the USGS. Its coverage of the US is good, but coverage of other countries is almost non-existent.

The Edit Online option, on the other hand, uses a mashup with Google maps which has much better global coverage. So the method you are currently using really is the best technique available. We can only hope that eventually the builder will switch to using Google maps for everything.

Edited to qualify my uncertainty about the method used when starting with an address.

Edited by twolpert