US Army COE survey disc R364W

techiegrl64

I'm rather new to procedures for finding and logging benchmarks and would like to get some help with this one. I hope this is the correct place to post my inquiry on this.

On March 29 while hunting geocaches and terracaches in the area I ran across a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey disc dated 1968. It is labeled R364W. I took photos and coords of the marker and included that information in my log entry for the cache I was hunting nearby (GCTWAE). See my log entry and photo at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...0b-ad087d7dfd83

I wasn't able to find this disc on Geocaching.com or in Waymarking.com. Can someone help me figure out if this is registered somewhere for me to log the discovery? If not, is there a way to register the mark so it can be logged?

TIA,

Techiegrl64

techiegrl64 -

This is the correct place for your inquiry.

The mark that you found appears NOT to be in either the Geocaching.com nor the NGS databases. This is not surprising: there are gazillions of marks that have never been documented for inclusion in the National Spatial Reference Systen (the NGS database). Chances are, the station you found is well known to the local US Army COE office.

If you wish, you could create a Waymark for your station. You probably have everything you need: Coordinates, photos, description of the area, designation, etc. etc. Creating a Waymark for a station that is not in the NGS database is, for hobbyist purposes, the equivalent of "registering" the mark.

Good hunting,

Will

Edited by seventhings