Waterproof Containers Help

HAB214

I am wanting to place an underwater cache ~3 feet deep water. I dont' want it to be a micro if I can help it. Has anyone had any luck with underwater containers? I saw the Pelican containers. Will they stay waterproof? I know that they are not meant to stay submerged. Thanks for the input.

I know that they are pretty expensive (I have a couple for test equipment I sometimes travel with).

Have you looked at the soda bottle preforms? They are micros, but...seems like they would be tailor-made for underwater applications (since they are, by design, waterproof under pressure).

Pelican boxes, preforms and ammo boxes all make nicely water resistant containers. Unfortunately, they are only as water resistant as the care given in closing them by the last cacher. I recently had two preforms along a walking path survive several days of submersion in close to five feet of running water. Stayed nice and dry. I was actually surprised that they had not washed away! Had another as first stage of a multi that was in hole in the base of a tree that would hold water and slowly drain after a rain. It was wet inside. Go figure.

You may need to give additional instructions for closing your container, which might give away the underwater hide idea.

Cache On!

JohnTee

While it's not a perfect test, something I do to determine a container's degree of water resistance is place a few sheets of tissue paper inside, (to show any trace of invading moisture), and sink them in a few feet of water for a couple weeks. I've tried ammo cans of various sizes, Lock & Locks, nalgene jars, decon kits, (leaked the most, with almost a tablespoon of water getting inside), bison tubes and match containers, which all did fairly well. Tupperware, Gladware, prescription bottles, pretzel jugs, peanut butter jars, Otter boxes, (which surprised me), sportsman dry boxes and of course film canisters, all failed miserably.

The most successful trial was a Lock & Lock inside a 30 cal ammo can. They make one that is almost a perfect fit.

If you're willing to spend the money, a scuba store can sell you containers designed for underwater use. I have a couple of old battery canisters for underwater dive lights in service. They're great underwater containers, as long as people take a moment to clean the gaskets. That's true of any container.

Riffster's ammo can with lock and lock inside would be cheaper, and probably work as well.

You really need to tell people - maybe on the log cover, that the container gaskets must be CLEAN. People will shut containers with the corner of a baggie caught in the cover, or a bit of organic debris. Leak city.

While it's not a perfect test, something I do to determine a container's degree of water resistance is place a few sheets of tissue paper inside, (to show any trace of invading moisture), and sink them in a few feet of water for a couple weeks. I've tried ammo cans of various sizes, Lock & Locks, nalgene jars, decon kits, (leaked the most, with almost a tablespoon of water getting inside), bison tubes and match containers, which all did fairly well. Tupperware, Gladware, prescription bottles, pretzel jugs, peanut butter jars, Otter boxes, (which surprised me), sportsman dry boxes and of course film canisters, all failed miserably.

The most successful trial was a Lock & Lock inside a 30 cal ammo can. They make one that is almost a perfect fit.

How did your testing do with the pelican containers or the nalgene bottles?