Garmin Policy--New Purchase, Outdated Maps

CN 2009 is coming shortly. If I purchase a new Garmin gps will they allow me to swap for the current map version? If not, how can I tell which map version comes with which products (gps models)? Their website seems to ignore making policy statements available.

If you are buying a Garmin handheld for geocaching (other than a Colorado) the only map included with the unit is the base map.

I am considering a car gps like the Nuvi 260. This forum is so full of Garmin enthusiasts I thought it would be a good place to ask. Seems like in the past they would honor updates within a certain time frame for new purchases, but I don't know if that still applies with their more restrictive marketing policies today.

I am considering a car gps like the Nuvi 260. This forum is so full of Garmin enthusiasts I thought it would be a good place to ask. Seems like in the past they would honor updates within a certain time frame for new purchases, but I don't know if that still applies with their more restrictive marketing policies today.

If you're to buy a new GPS (or your already hav one) that comes with city navigator map, in short, you have not register your unit on garmin as of Mar 2 2008, then you qualify for the free update to 2009 (but you must register first)

Sorry, might I get a clarification please? I just purchased my Nuvi 250W last weekend. It has the CN NT2008 . Does this qualify for the upgrade, and if so, where/how does on e get it. I've spent the last 45 minutes on Garmins site trying to find out. Thanks!

Thanks dualcore. Is their policy written somewhere? How far back does the free upgrade extend? If I buy a Nuvi 350 (or other model) that's been sitting on a shelf with CN2007, will that still qualify for the 2009 update?

I'd think as long as the unit has no register record (by anyone), it is fine.

Call me a dinosaur, I acquired a new "outfitted" Garmin 2610 this year (which is already a discontinued model), I registered and still get a free 2008 update. I should have wait now to register it to get a 2009.

Edited by dualcore

If you're purchasing a car GPS system such as the NUVI you might want to check out POI Factory - lots of folks over there with car units and lots of free POI files as well.