is entering coordinates in a Streetpilot using "EasyGPS" safe?

Hello,

I have a "new to me" streetpilot c530.

From the research I've been doing, it seems that the only way to enter gps coordinates into it is via the computer using either "Mapsource" or "EasyGPS".

Since "EasyGPS" is free, is it safe and reliable? Would I be safer to actually buy "Mapsource"?

Any other way of entering coordinates (i.e. methods or programs)?

(PS... I already have a hand-held unit for geocaching)

Yikes, this board goes fast... in one day the original post made its way to the second page.

I thought the thread had been pulled for some reason.

Thanks Fratermus, I was just worried about using a free program that could damage my GPS

Edited by goggled-duck

Thanks Fratermus, I was just worried about using a free program that could damage my GPS

I'd be more worried about paying for something that would damage my GPS! :rolleyes:

Seriously, EasyGPS is a good program. It communicates with your GPS using standard protocols, the same way Garmin's own program does.

I'd be more worried about paying for something that would damage my GPS! ;)

:rolleyes: Good One! ;)

It's good to know that there are no "easyGPS" horror stories out there.

It's also funny that both people who responded to the thread are from Dallas.

Thanks guys.

... Would I be safer to actually buy "Mapsource"?...

Mapsource is the interface for Garmin maps. I'm fairly sure there is a basic version that does about what EasyGPS does that's free for any Garmin owner...if you can find it. My paid version doesn't install without some hack that I forgot about and which doesn't seem to show up on Gamins FAQ.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I can't advise you on the safety or efficacy of using EasyGPS vs. MapSource, however, I do have two other free options for you. However, to really use Easy GPS with any real functionality, you'll need to be a Premium Member so you can download PQ's (Pocket Queries) of up to 500 caches at a whack.

1. Free Option

Use the 'Send to GPS' button on each and every cache description. With your Streetpilot connected and turned on, the 'Send to GPS' plug-in should recognize your Streetpilot.

2. Custom POI's - best done with Premium Membership

Download Garmin's 'Custom POI Loader' and install it on your PC.

Have the custom POI loader import your caches from the GPX file and save them as "Custom POI's (Points of Interest)"

They will show up in Where To -> Favorites -> Custom POI

Without the ability to download GPX files, you could probably kludge a work around that would include a lot of manual typing, and an increased possibility of error, and import CSV (Comma Separated Value) files.

Cache On!

JohnTee