GPS 60cxs not calibrating properly! grr HELP

Just had a birthday and (wheee!) was given a sweet Garmin 60csx as a present. :mad:

We installed TOPO U.S. on it to give us a little more detailed ground to cover before we actually head out in the wild to look for some "treasure". We were almost heading out the door when I realized that the GPS isn't showing us properly on the map it looks like we're over 500ft off course!!!

Has anyone had this problem before and if so, how was it dealt with? I've already tried recalibrating the compass (though I know that's not really the issue) and the altimeter seems fine as well. Is there a way to manually tell the gps where I'm at? I couldn't figure out how from the manual and such.

Sure hope someone can help... looks like the plans of geocaching are yet again put on hold this weekend. :P

Merci! Thanks!

KanukGirl

The position of the GPS is probably correct. The maps however are obtained from other sources and sometimes they are not correct.

When I was up in Sitka, Alaska I was constantly 120 feet west of the roads on the GPS.

The relative position between you and the cache is correct so you can still follow the GPS to the cache.

Try checking that the map Datum is set to WGS84? To check hit menu button twice, click the "setup" icon, then click the "units" icon. The second option on that screen will say "Map Datum". Just make sure it is set to WGS 84. If that isn't the problem I would take out the batteries and restart the unit, after that try calling Garmin customer service or the website. They are pretty helpful.

good luck!

I would suspect, in order of likelyhood (and based on the given information):

* expectation that the supplied basemap is more accurate than 500'

* Datum,

* lock on road turned off

* etc. See one of the stickied FAQs for more ideas. This is a Frequently Asked Question.

It is very common for new owners to think their GPS is inaccurate. It is very rare for it to be inaccurate.

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware updates installed on the GPS. If there is a US TOPO update then make sure you installed that as well. After you install the firmware and new software update. Do a hard reset. It will erase everything and all your settings will be lost but it will correct your problems. Then don't forget to turn road lock off and make battey saver mode is off and the 60CSx is set to WGS84 datum. This was my post about the same problem. After the firmware update and the hard reset its deadly accurate!!!!

Garmin GPS Way Off

Edited by -NigHTHAWK-

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far!

Rats, it looks like I might need to make a call to Garmin tomorrow... After a hard reboot, and making sure all the settings are correct per all your instructions, it still marks us as living out in the boondocks when we certainly live on a street. *sigh* Hopefully Garmin will have more answers.

Again, thanks!

I'm pretty sure the Topo maps are based on USGS data and some of that is old. For my area the Topo maps are good for identifying surrounding terrain, but I wouldn't count on them for road navigation. The City Navigator maps are better suited for road navigation.

I would have to agree with that. Even the latest Topo maps would have me go south about a mile, east another couple of miles, north a mile and a half, and west - just to go north a few blocks and west. You need the City Navigator 2008 if you want accurate road info. Until I got that, I thought my unit was NUTS.