Garmin 400t gets a new owner and goes to Newfoundland

Hi all,

Very new here and to GPS / geocaching etc so if you could bear with my newbieness, it would be appreciated.

I am purchasing a Garmin 400t and plan to use it to try some caching (I heard one can get addicted to this! :mad: ) and for travel / hiking trips. One trip will be to Newfoundland this summer. What I would like to do is use the 400 for auto and trail navigation. My goal here is to travel as light as possible. So here are some questions.

What maps? I know (or think I do) that I will need the City Navigator – North America but should I get the “NT” or will the cheaper non NT work just as well? And what about topo for the area? I use them when hiking (backpacking, fishing, etc.) normally but will I need them for the trip? I mostly plan to stay on the trails there but who knows? Would I need the Canada topo since it doesn’t appear that the pre-loaded map covers the area? I’m thinking yes but it is an expensive investment for something that may only be used once. So.. any other options?

What do I (should I) get for the auto part besides the maps? For power ( I will be using Alkaline, Lithiums so I can leave the charger at home) I’ll probably get the auto kit for the Colorado I guess. I read in another thread that all I need for power is a USB cable and a cig lighter to USB adapter after I update to the new firmware? I would much rather do this since I have them and it would not require an extra cable then. Also, would I need an external antenna?

What SD card? I have a 2 GB SD card hanging around. Will that be enough? Also, does the speed of the card make a big difference? I wouldn’t think so, but thought I’d ask.

Ok, hopefully that’s not too many questions for my very first post? If not I would like to ask one more… Have I forgotten anything to get the most out of my new toy and planned trip?

Thanks for your help.

What maps? I know (or think I do) that I will need the City Navigator – North America but should I get the “NT” or will the cheaper non NT work just as well? And what about topo for the area? I use them when hiking (backpacking, fishing, etc.) normally but will I need them for the trip? I mostly plan to stay on the trails there but who knows? Would I need the Canada topo since it doesn’t appear that the pre-loaded map covers the area? I’m thinking yes but it is an expensive investment for something that may only be used once. So.. any other options?

You can get free Canadian TOPO maps at this site : Ibycus Topo

Edited by nicolo

Hi all

Welcome!

I am purchasing a Garmin 400t

Good choice.

I will need the City Navigator – North America

Get the NT version.

Would I need the Canada topo since it doesn’t appear that the pre-loaded map covers the area?

That is correct. There is some free topo maps available for the Canada area if you want to try that, I just don't have a link handy.

I’ll probably get the auto kit for the Colorado I guess.

Good idea, and this comes with a cable anyway.

Also, would I need an external antenna?

Shouldn't.

What SD card?

I use a 4GB SDHC Sandisk card in mine, that gives me more than enough room. I loaded City Navigator onto the device and Inland Lakes onto the card.

Sounds like you have it nailed down pretty good... have fun and enjoy the Colorado!

Anywhere by chance one could get free Topo maps of Georgia or state parks in Georgia?

Thanks,

I took a look but it doesn't look like it has Newfoundland / Labrador covered. Have you used them and is this area available. I will of course try it myself but I don't have the GPS yet and was just wondering if you knew.

Thanks,

I took a look but it doesn't look like it has Newfoundland / Labrador covered. Have you used them and is this area available. I will of course try it myself but I don't have the GPS yet and was just wondering if you knew.

Actually the current version does have Newfoundland and Labrador in it. He has not updated the site to show the newer version.

Thanks,

Actually the current version does have Newfoundland and Labrador in it. He has not updated the site to show the newer version.

Excellent!! That is good news! Thank you very much for the reply!

Thanks,

Excellent!! That is good news! Thank you very much for the reply!

I just downloaded it and only the southern part of Newfoundland is there! Bummer!!

Yes, he has NOT put instructions for the new version on his site. It is on the forums, though.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3380444

I have uploaded version 1.3 to the website.

The install proceedure for this one is slightly different than for previous versions.

Firstly, this version is for the moment only an update. It requires a previous version in order to work correctly (this will change when I do the final release, but figured some of you wouldn't want to wait).

For the moment its only available on the PC. The Mac version will follow (if I forget, please harass me about it.).

The proceedure is as follows:

1. Download and run http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

2. Click "Check for updates"

Please note, if you don't let it finish, you may have trouble uploading any of the updated maps you your GPS, but you should be able to kill it and restart it where you left off at pretty much any time throughout the procedure.

Update in that fashion and you should see Newfoundland covered and most of Labrador. If there are areas that you want, post a request on that thread above and he should respond there.

Edited by Red90

Update in that fashion and you should see Newfoundland covered and most of Labrador. If there are areas that you want, post a request on that thread above and he should respond there.

Nice! Just downloaded (Well not "just" since it took a Loonng time but worth it! Oh yea, it's FREE!) ALL 2000 something files and Viola! Thanks again for your help Red!