Colorado help with Geocaching

Hi,

My family and I did our first cach yesterday. We all enjoyed the adventure, especially the kids.

I did however find out that I need some help :mad:

I do plan to use the paperless geocach mode, but this weekend, I tried the manual method.

Here's what I did, if someone could let me know if I approached it correctly.

1. I went to "mark waypoint" on menu

2. then edit

3. then change location

4. then entered the coords

5. I then went to "where to?" on menu

6. then waypoints and then the one i just stored

7. then went to the map view.

8. used it to direct me to the location.

I'm thinking there must be a better way, and is it possible to use the compass view to lead you to the cach?

Sorry for the noob questions :P

Mark

ps.. I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

Edited by FuNdyFaMiLy

Wow, there's a MUCH easier way!

Using this site or Garmin's site (can't tell if you have a Colorado or if you live in Colorado). If you have the Colorado you missed out :mad:

When you find a cache on this site or Garmin's you can just select 'Send to GPS' and it will put the info in for you (using the PC cable).

I guess I need more clarification on what GPS you have first though, but regardless - you can use (and I recommend) the compass page once you get close.

Edited by XopherN71

If you register on the GC site, you get a free month of premium membership with the purchase of a Garmin Colorado -- there is a link to click for signing up.

Once you have a premium membership, you can do a pocket query, which will let you snag up to 500 caches centered around whatever waypoint you select. You set the query up to include or exclude different cache types, etc... and specify the number of caches or the distance from the point you set.

The query generator looks up the caches for you, combines them into two files, zips them up and emails them to you. You simply extract the two files from the zipped file, then copy them to the \garmin\gpx folder in either your Colorado memory or the optional SD card.

The next time you turn on your GPS, it should have a whole bunch of new caches. When you find a cache, you mark it as found on the Colorado, then go back to GC and you can upload field notes, and then do your log entry for each cache.