Problem uploading media with GWZ file

USCcouple

Hi,

I am currently trying to upload my first Wherigo cartridge to be used as a Wherigo Geocache. I am using the builder, version 2.0.4907.3996

I first published the cartridge to the website using the builder’s built-in uploader, which appeared to work. When I check on the file the size was way too small (181KB), and indeed when I downloaded it and opened it on my device, there were no images.

I have a total of 85 separate BMP images. The largest image is 221 KB, with a total uncompressed size of 5.63 MB for all of the images. Using the builder I am able to publish the file to my computer and play it on my computer, and everything works just fine. There is also a GWZ file in my Wherigo directory that is compressed to 1.39 MB. When it is uncompressed, it does indeed have all of the correct media files in there.

So I tried to upload that GWZ file using the website, which worked fine, it took a little while but it finished uploading, however I still got the same result. All of the images are just not there.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Thanks,

Kevan

Update:

I was just messing around with it further, and I noticed that when I try to download a Colorado version of the file it is 1.81 MB, but when I try to download the PocketPC version it is 5.7MB. So I assume that it would work and have them images for the PocketPC version, I have no way of testing that. Would could be the cause for the Garmin Colorado version not to include the images? Can it not handle BMP files?

Thanks,

Kevan

So you needed to know if your images showed in the PocketPC version? I loaded it onto mine and saw the image on your first screen. Clicking to the crime scene task, I do not see an image there, supposing one was supposed to show.

If you need me to check the Colorado, I can do that as well.

As for image files, I believe the Colorado only supports JPG. If you can convert your bitmaps to this format, they should display on the Colorado. I have no idea why the cartridge upload process does not convert these files automatically.

Thanks for the quick reply!

My main concern was why the images were there at all in the Colorado version. Thanks for checking it on the PocketPC, I appreciat it, and no there was not suppoed to be an image associated with the task. I will go ahead and convert them all to JPG and see what happens.

Thanks,

Kevan

Edited by USCcouple

One other incidental question. As I was trying to upload the GWZ file, I somehow created two copies of the cartridge on the website. The error one is currently just not set to be viewed by others, but I would like to delete it, and can not seem to find a way to.

Thanks,

Kevan

So you needed to know if your images showed in the PocketPC version? I loaded it onto mine and saw the image on your first screen. Clicking to the crime scene task, I do not see an image there, supposing one was supposed to show.

If you need me to check the Colorado, I can do that as well.

As for image files, I believe the Colorado only supports JPG. If you can convert your bitmaps to this format, they should display on the Colorado. I have no idea why the cartridge upload process does not convert these files automatically.

I changed them to JPGs and now the images appear to work on my Colorado. However the Image on the Title screen as well as the Icon for the cartridge do not show up.

Thanks,

Kevan

Hi,

today, apparently I am running in a similar problem uploading my cartridge. But not only for garmin, but also for all devices...

After uploading the GWZ file (18.513Mb) the cartridge download (361Kb) doesn't contain neither pictures (.jpg) nor sounds (.mp3).

The compiler of the Wherigo site generates a correct GWC file in the correct size.

Likewise, I can upload the GWZ file correctly to the Wherigo Foundation site.

The Wherigo was developed with Urwigo with some amount of custom Lua functions, 112 pictures (.jpg, ~1,41Mb, mostly 640x359px) and 33 sound files (.mp3, ~16,5Mb).

Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks - Christoph

If you're downloading for Garmin, I do know the Wherigo compiler strips out the sound files because Garmin devices can't play sound.  I believe the pictures should be included in the cartrdge.

Are you saying the compiler strips out the mp3 files when your download target is "Pocket PC"?

3 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Mind sharing the GWZ with me and the link where you uploaded it on Wherigo.com so I can look through it over the weekend?

I'll be happy to do that.

However, I think I've already caught the crook: the Wherigo is called "It's in the Fog" and in Urwigo I set the identifier of the cartridge manually to "its_in_the_fog".
I also embedded a sound file from free-stock-music.com with coincidentally :rolleyes: the same title "It's in the Fog". For this I assigned the identifier "theme_its_in_the_fog" (see below).

Now, I changed the identifier of the sound file to "theme_iitf" - et voilá: it works :ph34r:!

Why and what possibly goes wrong I can't say, but if you want to investigate further, let me know and I'll send you the GWZ file and/or the Urwigo sources.

Thanks for your help!

Christoph

217930767_2023-05-1220_31_25-Signal.thumb.jpg.2dfc6c1758efb1aea5332fcb67fab411.jpg