Handicap Accessible Catches:

DBryan78324

Handicap Accessible Catches:

I’m new to this sport as of 3/27/08. Didn’t have much luck with my first try at finding a catch. But, my question is can I set up locations and use structures, or landmarks as the catch. Example: A building, A shelter for a picnic, a dock for fishing, a sculpture, (Since I live in Loveland, Colorado the art capital of the world). My self I am handicapped by a heart problem and I know a few people who use a walker and some who even have to use wheelchairs to get around, , some even use oxygen. Therefore, it makes it sort of hard if not impossible to get around some of the terrain where a lot, not all, catches are located. Plus it is also impossible for some of the handicapped people to beat the bushes and dig in the ground for a catch.. Even if I just used the location of a restaurant, and put in my description to bring your appetite with you, or if I put in a dock where fishing is available, bring your fishing tackle with you, or maybe just a great location to take some pictures of a sunset over the beautiful Rocky Mountains, bring your camera with you. In Loveland, the gateway to the Rocky Mountain National Park, we have lots of tourist coming through town. If they are into this sport also, they might be interested in stopping by some of our landmarks and also if there interest lies in sculptures, we have lots of them in Loveland.. I could still use the latitude and longitude to locate these locations. There would be nothing to sign or trade things available, just the fun of locating a neat park to have a picnic in and maybe let the kids play for awhile on the play ground and etc. I know if I used a sculpture, I would need to say something about, bring your camera to take a cool picture of some art. I’m open for suggestions if you think this would work and even locations that I could use (feel free to email me with a location or post it yourself0. I look forward to getting back out again to look for more catches and hopefully will find one or two here in Loveland as I know there are lots of them out there. Not out today due to the weather, Sat in the 60’s and today in the 30’s but it’s only March… Thank you in advance for your feed back on this question, perhaps there is someone all ready doing this. One last suggestion, if some of your catches are handicap accessible, put a note in your description as to the conditions of getting to your catch. Such as a short walk of about 200’ (Yes, 200’ can be 5 miles for someone using a walker and wearing oxygen) required, or wheelchair users can access this catch. (Please remember a rocky trail even 5’, is not wheelchair country, darn it anyway). :unsure:

P.S. If the feed back is positive on this, I have no problems with others doing this also, as it will take me quite some time to do it my self.

Welcome to the site.

You might want to take a look at the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Virtual caches are no longer allowed to be listed on the site unless the meet the requirements of an Earthcache.

As to accessible caches, caches with a Terrain difficulty of 1 are supposed to be accessible, so you might start by looking at those when you are hunting.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, but there are plenty of caches out there that are handicapped accessible. There's even an attribute to select for that specific situation.

That being said, it almost sounds like what you're describing is a "virtual cache", where you wouldn't even be hiding an actual dontainer, but instead would be saying something like "send me a photo of you with your GPSr next to the sculpture to log the find." Those types of "caches" are no longer listed on geocaching.com, but can be found and listed on Waymarking.com.

Either way, there are plenty of ways to enjoy the hobby regardless of the personal challenges you face!

Welcome to the Forums! :unsure:

I have one cache, in a parking lot, listed as "Handicap Accessible." When looking for caches with a Terrain rating of '1' you might keep in mind that some of the older caches will not be accurately-rated.

If you do seek out a cache rated '1' and find it is not actually wheelchair-accessible, you can contact the cache owner and ask them to up the rating. If you do not get a response from them, you can contact the Reviewer for your area and they can change the rating.

You might check out Waymarking.com. There are lots of "Virtual" locations of all different types listed on that Site.

I have to disagree, as the handicap accessible symbol is not always a good indication. I've seen many that claim that a wheelchair could access them and it might be true. But what about people who are disabled and NOT in a wheelchair? Slight terrain changes that might be accessible by a wheelchair are not necessarily accesible by someone using a cane or arm crutches. A perfectly paved course that can easily be manuevered by a wheelchair, may be too long for someone with heart or breathing issues or other gait issues. A wheelchair shoud NOT be the universal symbol of access as people in wheelchairs are often much more maneuverable than someone trying to locomote on their own.

I have to disagree, as the handicap accessible symbol is not always a good indication. I've seen many that claim that a wheelchair could access them and it might be true. But what about people who are disabled and NOT in a wheelchair? Slight terrain changes that might be accessible by a wheelchair are not necessarily accesible by someone using a cane or arm crutches. A perfectly paved course that can easily be manuevered by a wheelchair, may be too long for someone with heart or breathing issues or other gait issues. A wheelchair shoud NOT be the universal symbol of access as people in wheelchairs are often much more maneuverable than someone trying to locomote on their own.

Having worked in assisted living facilities for about 10 years during my younger days, I have to say it's very seldom that I have run across a person who has a cane or arm crutches due to a significant, long term loss of ambulatory ability who does not also have a wheelchair specifically for situations such as these that require mobility for extended periods of time or include terrain that is not condusive to using canes or crutches. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's pretty unusual. For those with heart and/or breathing issues, the Google Maps function in combination with the wheelchair accessible icon should give someone a pretty good idea of what is or is not going to be achievable.

For the very small minority where that may be the case, the aforementioned Waymarking.com offers a good alternative.