iPod for Paperless

I have been reading about sending PQ's to your iPod - all of the posts I can find are dealing with it from a PC. Does anyone know how to do this on a Mac? It seems like there should be a simple way - any help would be appreciated.

i dont know if this is possible, ask the commies at apple about them letting your computer do that.

How can you "paperless cache" with an iPod? Sure you can probably send it all the cache info as well as the hints & previous find logs. But... how do you enter in your FIND information into the iPod after you found a cache? How do you input data to the iPod out in the field?

If you're only going after one or two caches then you can probably remember all the details, what if you're going after a dozen caches & want to record notes? What was traded?? travelbug info??

I have a buddy running a mac and I keep trying to get him into caching. Just saw this and it may help. mac cachingIt's got me wishing I could find the bucks for a mac. You may also check this out cachemagnet Not sure if it is mac compatible but it is still in development and may be one day. I have been using it for a couple months and it works great. Hope that helps.

Paul Wishing for my own Mac Book Pro

Edited by PG+LT+WD

How can you "paperless cache" with an iPod? Sure you can probably send it all the cache info as well as the hints & previous find logs. But... how do you enter in your FIND information into the iPod after you found a cache? How do you input data to the iPod out in the field?

If you're only going after one or two caches then you can probably remember all the details, what if you're going after a dozen caches & want to record notes? What was traded?? travelbug info??

I was reading about downloading the cache info onto an iPod - just like you would to a Palm - I saw many posts about adding it to this drive or that in a PC. I just wondered if anyone had a native solution. If you could enter text with the click wheel and sync it back that would be awesome - but really all I'm after is syncing my PQs to my iPod in some way (without a PC).

I have been reading about sending PQ's to your iPod - all of the posts I can find are dealing with it from a PC. Does anyone know how to do this on a Mac? It seems like there should be a simple way - any help would be appreciated.

I'm an Apple Canada Reseller and I have 3 iPods. Although it's possible to use Maccaching to download info to an iPod, the iPod is simply not the right tool for the job. I bought a used Dell Axim and used it for several months, but it still wasn't the answer for me. I have a friend who uses and swears by his Blackberry for caching, but I've been with him and it's still too inconvenient for me Carrying 2 devices is just a pain in the neck. Recently I bought a new Garmin Colorado. This is the best answer to date. One device with everything at your fingertips. And with all the new Mac software from Garmin I can now do everything I need to do.

My advice as a Mac guru with 26 year experience? Get a Colorado.

I actually bought a Colrado recently and love that it works so easily on my Mac. I was wanting to set up the iPod to work with my Rino 530 HCx - I am going on a trip and wanted to set up another unit so that we both could have all the info at our fingertips.

The only problem I have had with my Colorado has been transfering maps - I have the 400t so I'm covered in the states.

We use GSAK and the macro for iPods with our iPod Classic. Works really well we think. We don't normally do more than 20 caches in a day and most are nothing more than TNLNSL so there is no real 'remembering' anything there. The memorable caches will stay with you for the day. If not take a small notepad to jot things on.

I was thinking of my iPod classic. I have an iPhone but assumed that I would need to have service to access logs.

Well, all iPhones (unless you are using a hacked one) come with unlimited internet service. I find that I have Edge connectivity in my primary caching realm (I don't do much way out in the wilderness - most of my caching is suburban.)

You might want to look at iGeocacher (http://www.ayefon.com) which is a published webapp for the iPhone. It is designed to be low bandwidth and you can get the cache info, logs, see your waypoints on Google maps and even have it give you driving directions. You can also even log from the app right on-line if you wish. It's kind of nice to just log the find on the spot rather than wait to get back home. The biggest boost for me is planning my cache attack having uploaded my pocket queries I then have all the info in the palm of my hand. Now at the moment this does require connectivity to work well but I'm also in the process of porting the app to run completely locally to take advantage of the 2.0 software that Apple will release for the iPhone (June they say.)

Frankly, I'm finding that the Edge network works very well and it's hard to beat the synergy that gives you with Google maps. If you've got an iPhone, point it to:

http://www.ayefon.mobi/geo/igeocacher.cfm?id=demo@email.com

and have a look. I'm developing like crazy and have already incorporated at least 4 new features folks have asked for this weekend (it's raining here so no caching for me :-( Just programming :-) ) See:

http://www.ayefon.com/geo/beta.cfm

Let me know what you think. I'm looking for good ideas for iGeocaching

-dB

http://www.ayefon.com - Fine software for the iPhone community