Enter Zones in Specific Order

Random Find

We are a first time cartridge builder and trying to get the player to enter each of 6 zones in a specific order with the cartridge ending after the sixth zone. I am using tutorial and it briefly mentions this but really teaches you how to go to any zone at any time.

To rephrase, how do I have the first zone as normal and when you enter it, it opens the second zone? Enter the second zone and it opens the third zone, etc.....

When you set up all your zones, check off the box that says 'Visible' and uncheck the box that says 'Active'...except for the zone that you want to see visible at the start of your cart. You will also see in the setup for each zone, an event tab. Click on that and you'll see a bunch of grayed out events. You can also see this by highlighting the zone from the main screen of builder and clicking the 'zone' button and then highlighting your start zone.

Now click on "When a player enters a zone" then click new. A box will pop up asking you to give this event a name. Any name will do and then click ok. Now on the lower left, there is a button called "Add an action". Click on that and then click on "Set a zone active or inactive".

Now in the window to the right, click on 'zone' and select the zone you want to turn on. Now select the true/false and select true. Remember that you have to uncheck the 'Active' box in the zone setup.

After that is set up, do the same thing for the subsequent zones. In otherwords, for the zone you just 'activated', go to the 'When a player enters a zone" for that zone and activate the next zone.

Good luck.

Edited by cache_in_pocket

When you set up all your zones, check off the box that says 'Visible' and uncheck the box that says 'Active'...except for the zone that you want to see visible at the start of your cart.

Are you saying that on the first zone I should have a checkmark in both the active and the visible boxes and on all the rest I should have a checkmark in the visible box and no checkmark in the active box? I am sorry but the words "check off" confused me.

When you set up all your zones, check off the box that says 'Visible' and uncheck the box that says 'Active'...except for the zone that you want to see visible at the start of your cart.

Are you saying that on the first zone I should have a checkmark in both the active and the visible boxes and on all the rest I should have a checkmark in the visible box and no checkmark in the active box? I am sorry but the words "check off" confused me.

Yes. 'Check off' was also that Russian guy on Star Trek. :huh:

Just to rephrase:

If you want a player to visit zones in a certain order, create all your zones, but only have the first set to be active and visible. The other zones will have those two options unchecked.

To show the player the next zone to enter, use the "When a player enters a zone" event. In it, set the current zone to be inactive and invisible and set the next zone to active and visible. Repeat this behavior with the other zones.

Please note that all your zones will seem to show when you use the emulator. This is for your convenience. When the cartridge is published and used by other players, they will not see the invisible zones. This can seem misleading to beginning cartridge developers, so I did want to warn you up front to prevent confusion.

Happy developing!