Mapsource & map set file help

I'm trying to figure out the file basics in Mapsource (Topo US 08). After searching, it appears I can only send one map set to my Vista HCX, otherwise the new map set overwrites the old.

I know I can add/remove map areas, but in Mapsource I can't create more than one map set per Mapsource file (ex-untitled.gdb) right? So I guess if I want to make other individual sets, say a few based on single states, then I will create new Mapsource files (ex-FL.gdb, GA.gdb)?

If so, then why a separate "Map Set Name" feature? I understand you may not want "ATLANTA, GA (WEST - NE) TOPO U.S. 2008 460 KB" as the map set name (automatic naming) and would rather use "GA maps" or the like, but why have another naming feature if the .gdb file has to have a unique name because it's a separate map set?

Am I making any sense?

And where will this "Map Set Name" ever show up? It seems that in the GPSr all the map areas still had their proper names even though I changed the set name.

I'm trying to figure out the file basics in Mapsource (Topo US 08). After searching, it appears I can only send one map set to my Vista HCX, otherwise the new map set overwrites the old.

Send them at the same time.

I already know how to do that, I was using that as a preface for my questions about file naming and separate map set names.

Thanks though!

Edited by symbiont7

mea culpa, you are correct. I was reading too fast.

There are three different names that are important here:

1. the *.gdb mapset definittion in mapource. Not really a map, but contains the list of the map tiles to be combined (and other info). You can have many filenames containing the same data if you want, but the computer's OS will not allow files of the same name in the same directory. More than one uploadable mapset cannot exist in a gdb.*

2. the name of the tile embedded in the data on your DVD or HD. This is what shows up in the map config in the GPS. Can't control this unless you hack with mapedit or similar.

3. The name of the resulting file that you upload to the GPSr sd card. You can rename this but it won't work. :-)

The name of the .gdb mapset will only be visible from Mapsource or a directlory listing.

brothermouse

*well, you could put two in there and deselect maptiles I guess.

I believe the mapset name convention predates your "x" GPS when you could only have 24MB of maps in the unit.

Since you likely have a 1 or 2GB card, load it up with all the maps you want. Mapsource creates a single file called gmapsupp.img and puts it into the folder Garmin on your mSD card. You are limited to 2025 map segments in one gmapsupp.img file. That's roughly 1/3 of the USA. I think Topo 2008 has ~5000 segments.

Your can create as many of these as you want, but you'll need to store them in unique folders, since only one file named gmapsupp.img can be in any single folder.

HTH

1. ... More than one uploadable mapset cannot exist in a gdb.*

2. the name of the tile embedded in the data on your DVD or HD. This is what shows up in the map config in the GPS. Can't control this unless you hack with mapedit or similar.

The name of the .gdb mapset will only be visible from Mapsource or a directlory listing.

1) That's what I thought. The whole separate "map set name" threw me off though.

2) Check. That's exactly what I saw in my GPSr.

Seems strange they included a separate map set name when it doesn't show up anywhere but Mapsource, and Mapsource uses a different .gdb file for each uploadable mapset. Therefore basically each separate .gdb file is a separate map set. :huh:

Any reason then to rename the map set from the automatic default of a map segment name? I have already renamed the .gdb file to Southeast US (from untitled.gdb), I guess it just bothers me to see the map set name of "ATLANTA, GA (WEST - NE)" or the like when it really covers so much more.

Thanks for the help!

I believe the mapset name convention predates your "x" GPS when you could only have 24MB of maps in the unit.

Ah, that would make some sense since it seems to me that the map set name makes no difference and is a bit of a redundancy when a single .gdb file contains only one uploadable set.

Since you likely have a 1 or 2GB card, load it up with all the maps you want. Mapsource creates a single file called gmapsupp.img and puts it into the folder Garmin on your mSD card. You are limited to 2025 map segments in one gmapsupp.img file. That's roughly 1/3 of the USA. I think Topo 2008 has ~5000 segments.

Your can create as many of these as you want, but you'll need to store them in unique folders, since only one file named gmapsupp.img can be in any single folder.

HTH

2gb, yes. Thanks for the file structure pointers. I guess it's ok then to upload via a card reader rather than through the GPSr. I've read here that you could, but since I didn't know the file structure I decided my first upload should be through the GPSr (albeit sloooow).

Not that flash cards are expensive, but I was beginning to think a 2gb was a waste because I could only upload a single map set with a 2025 segment limit that wasn't close to 2gb. The ability to store multiple map sets and fill the flash card soothes the frugal side in me. :huh:

Thanks!

Not that flash cards are expensive, but I was beginning to think a 2gb was a waste because I could only upload a single map set with a 2025 segment limit that wasn't close to 2gb. The ability to store multiple map sets and fill the flash card soothes the frugal side in me. :huh: Thanks!
Not so fast, theirs a gotcha.

Your HCx will only look in the folder Garmin, so if you create a folder: WesternUS and create a unique gmapsupp.img in it, the GPSr will never see it. You'd have to manually move it via a card reader and PC into the folder Garmin.

So, many smaller cards do make sense. :huh:

I doubt Garmin will ever "fix" this "flaw."