Back in the game... how to get caught up...

CheesyD

I haven't touched my Meridian Gold for a couple of years and now am itching to get back into geocaching. I pulled my GPS out of hiding and had to re-read the owners manual just to figure out how to use it again. I still can't figure out how to change my old address to my new address on the welcome screen though...

Anyway, the unit has version 5.12 on it. I went to the Magellan website and see there's a version 5.4 available for download. I soon discovered I am unable to hook it up to my laptop though due to no DB-9 ports on the PC. I'll go to RadioShack and pick up a DB-9 to USB adapter I guess. My question is this... besides upgrading to V5.4, is there anything else that has changed in the past two years that I should be aware of and is a must upgrade? Is this Magellan Gold still a viable unit or have the new GPS' on the market made such tremendous advances in usability that I should scrap this one and go buy a new model?

If I keep the Gold I have, what is the latest version of Magellan's map software that will work with this unit? I bought it while living in New Mexico and now live in Maine and would like current topo maps of this region to put on it.

Thanks in advance!

Well one thing I can tell you, if your Gold has been off for 2 years WAAS will no longer work on it. It would have had to be on last summer to get the WAAS almanac update. So you may want to get a new unit just so you can get your accuracy from probably 30 feet down to the 9ft it should be at. If you buy a an explorist you will have to put the european firmware on it to get WAAS. If you did paperless caching before, you might want to look into the new Garmin Colorado, or wait a few months till magellan gets a few more of the kinks out of the tritons and get one of those.

Well one thing I can tell you, if your Gold has been off for 2 years WAAS will no longer work on it. It would have had to be on last summer to get the WAAS almanac update.

Ack! Wasn't expecting that. Oh well, sounds like it's time to work on justifying a new unit with the misses.

Thanks for the reply.