Switching GC# to Cache name on Garmin GPS

Leedr

To just add a little more info, and some background, GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) can do it. It's a program that runs on you rPC where you can manage a whole database of caches. It also lets you export caches to your GPS using what is called a "Smart Name".

What this Smart Name is, is the name of each cache, but it also is unique. There are many caches that have the same name, but the smart name will be unique to each cache on your GPS (two caches can't have the same name on the GPS. It will also shorten the name to fit in however many characters can be displayed. It's great to have the names on the GPS!

I've been using GSAK for a few months now, and only this weekend finally registered it. It's free to try, $25 once you see how great it is.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, which is a lot of fun, but I am having problems trying to figure out how to switch the listing of Caches from the GC# to the Cache name on the GPS unit.
You have to use GSAK to do that. So you have to choose which one you prefer.

It looks like EasyGPS can also do that.

Edit -> Preferences -> My GPS Receivers -> Geocaching... -> Waypoint

(the default value is "GCXXXX", but you can switch to "Geocache Name" instead)

In that same dialog box you can switch the default Comment field contents from Geocache Name to Decrypted Hint.

If you use GSAK, instead of EasyGPS, to send the waypoints to your GPSr, you can get part of the name of the cache, and even part of the hint using the codes in the "Smart Name" feature. This is the code I use for the Waypoint name on my Vista HCx:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=10 %hint

I used cachemate where it have the cache's name. Then tap the map buttom in cachemate. The cache's name will passed over to Garmin Mobile XT. Tap go and Garmin Mobile XT will created the route for me and I drive to the nearest cache's location. Changed to cachemate, tap the NAV buttom and fellow the navigation arrow to hunt for the cache.