Displaying Non-English Letters

Voller

Hello.

I am building a cartridge in Danish. In the Danish language we have 3 extra vowels that are very commonly used. Maybe you can see them, they are Æ/æ, Ø/ø and Å/å. When I try to use these characters for text messages, only a blank (space) is displayed. Is there setting I have missed or alternatively a workaround concerning this problem?

While there may not be a fix for this as of yet, I have a suggestion for a workaround. Why not create an image with the text you need? Instead of displaying text to the player, you display the image, which has the text. It's a crude and more time consuming undertaking, but it will at least work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Imagine that all Web-pages in other languages than English had to be made as image-files :laughing:

For now, in my Cartridge version 0.1 I will just spell the vowels as ae, oe and aa. But it is not ideal, how would you feel if you had to spell out a "W" as "VV" ? It just doesn't look and read well. I hope that soon there will be an update to VVherigo that utilizes the localization settings on the unit.

There is no need to bind it with localization settings of the unit in my opinion. Unicode is good way how to present these characters on display.

I have the same problem with Czech local characters in Wherigo: ůěščřžýáíéďťň...

Edited by marekl

Hello.

I am building a cartridge in Danish. In the Danish language we have 3 extra vowels that are very commonly used. Maybe you can see them, they are Æ/æ, Ø/ø and Å/å. When I try to use these characters for text messages, only a blank (space) is displayed. Is there setting I have missed or alternatively a workaround concerning this problem?

old post i Know but as a Norwegian i usualy in urwigo go to Lua user functions and paste in the folowing code:

function firstLetter(str)
 return str:match("[%z\1-\127\194-\244][\128-\191]*")
end

and the Run/build as utf 8 to be able to use Æ,Ø,Å....