Sort options for Cache Searching

M&M and Daddio

When searching for caches I'm given the option to "List newest in Ontario" (Obviously Ontario as that's my home coordinate)

The results appear to be sorted by date. Is it possible to change the order of this list? I'd rather have the list show closest to furthest away.

Without exporting this list, is it possible to have the list sort in by different criteria? It would also me be nice to see those that have yet to be found.

Thanks!

I do have and use GSAK, but was hoping I could just sort from the web. I don't necessarily want to download all these into a PQ.

The other problem I have.. and I'm not a GSAK expert, but I don't want a large database as I download these points to my NUVI... Thus I don't want to start uploading large PQ's.

It seems a rather simple feature to me. Similar to Ebay where I can sort findings in a number of manners. Closest, ending soonest, etc.

When searching for caches I'm given the option to "List newest in Ontario" (Obviously Ontario as that's my home coordinate)

The results appear to be sorted by date. Is it possible to change the order of this list? I'd rather have the list show closest to furthest away.

Without exporting this list, is it possible to have the list sort in by different criteria? It would also me be nice to see those that have yet to be found.

Thanks!

There is a map view (link is in the upper right corner) you can click on to see those caches in Google maps. Then there is some more criteria that you can use once you get to the map page.
There is a map view (link is in the upper right corner) you can click on to see those caches in Google maps. Then there is some more criteria that you can use once you get to the map page.

The map option is a great feature, but still does not offer what I'm looking for.

I can run the PQ's and get the info that way... but I just figured, since the search option is on the web, it would be so much nicer to sort in a different manner.

Edited by M&M and Daddio

Do you want it sorted as newer or by proximity - can't do both...

Newer, use the state.

Proximity, use a set of coordinates in the search.

To do both, download the caches by proximity using PQs and sort by date.

Need to know the newest ones? Sign up for notifications and hear about them when they're published.

The map option is a great feature, but still does not offer what I'm looking for.

I can run the PQ's and get the info that way... but I just figured, since the search option is on the web, it would be so much nicer to sort in a different manner.

You can also search for nearest caches by distance from your home coords right on your profile page. I created a PQ of unfounds that I quickly view by clicking on a bookmark of that PQ view page. You don't have to run the PQs to view them on a map. There are map views for each PQ on the PQ list page as well. So there are a lot of options to explore there. :unsure: Edited by TrailGators

Do you want it sorted as newer or by proximity - can't do both...

Newer, use the state.

Proximity, use a set of coordinates in the search.

To do both, download the caches by proximity using PQs and sort by date.

Need to know the newest ones? Sign up for notifications and hear about them when they're published.

I tried doing a search by coordinates, but it didn't give me new caches by proximity. The PQ works, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

Why can't the columns be sortable? Last found, or Not found, or proxmity?

Think about it.

Cache A is 500 feet from your home

Cache B is 2 miles from your home

Cache C is 4 miles from your home

Cache B was placed this week

Cache C was placed in December

Cache A was placed in 2001

How can a single list be sorted two ways?

What GSAK will do is give you a subset of caches that are within a certain proximity, and THOSE you can sort by date placed.

You can set up a single PQ as caches within a certain proximity placed within the last week. Then you can preview the results any time you want without actually importing the results into GSAK.

Set your center proximity coords.

Use the Placed with (the last week) option.

Preview the results.

I confess that I'd like to sort "north-to-south" or "east-to-west" because once you get a fairly significant cleared radius around your home coords, it would be nice to know that two that are each 20 miles away are not in fact 40 miles apart.

It would be possible to "list newest in <state>", then check the ones you're interested in, then "sort checked by <distance from home | lat | long> and get a useful list. It's all a SMOP. It's just a case of what features are important.

I confess that I'd like to sort "north-to-south" or "east-to-west" because once you get a fairly significant cleared radius around your home coords, it would be nice to know that two that are each 20 miles away are not in fact 40 miles apart.

It would be possible to "list newest in <state>", then check the ones you're interested in, then "sort checked by <distance from home | lat | long> and get a useful list. It's all a SMOP. It's just a case of what features are important.

I love GSAK. I can slice dice and filter the caches in my databases in a multitude of ways, including along complicated routes. I would never expect the website to be able to filter for the caches I want to find, but GSAK does it willingly, and fast . . . :anicute:

I use 4 or 5 systems fairly regularly to obtain my caching info. I have no desire to try to keep a GSAK database in sync over that many systems (nor can I on a couple of them) My recent pocket queries are available in my web-accessible mailbox and other than GPSBable , I don't have to install anything to transfer from PQ to GPSr. So yeah, I'd like the site to do it for me, but I can deal if it doesn't.

I've tried GSAK and I have to say it has never grown on me. Having to maintain the database locally when the live one is available over the web seems like too much effort. Even though I write OS software for a living, I'm a Luddite about some things. I don't own a cell phone and certainly not a PDA.