Colorado funny boot behavior

I've had my 400t for a couple of weeks now and have been learning more about it each time I power it up. I have noticed a new boot behavior that has me puzzled.

Originally the unit would show the Garmin logo, load maps, and then display a map with a blinking question mark over the position triangle while the unit was acquiring sats. Now the unit says it is loading maps and takes much longer, but when the map appears the sats are acquired and it is generating a good fix. The first case took about 20 sec. to display the map. Now it takes about 1 minute. I had not turned the unit on for about 2 days. I've swapped between different profiles (automotive and geocaching) recently - not much else.

Have any of you seen this behavior?

Hard reboot in order?

Edited by geokitebuggy

I've had my 400t for a couple of weeks now and have been learning more about it each time I power it up. I have noticed a new boot behavior that has me puzzled.

Originally the unit would show the Garmin logo, load maps, and then display a map with a blinking question mark over the position triangle while the unit was acquiring sats. Now the unit says it is loading maps and takes much longer, but when the map appears the sats are acquired and it is generating a good fix. The first case took about 20 sec. to display the map. Now it takes about 1 minute. I had not turned the unit on for about 2 days. I've swapped between different profiles (automotive and geocaching) recently - not much else.

Have any of you seen this behavior?

Hard reboot in order?

During the time you can see "loading maps" is when gpx files are loaded into the waypoint and geocache databases. My guess is you've either downloaded a bunch of gpx files or you've added maps, either of which would slow down this phase. GPX file loading should only impact the first boot after you download or change a gpx file. Subsequent reboots should be pretty quick.

I would clean out the [drive]:\garmin\gpx directory and see if that helps. Otherwise maybe a soft reset might clean things up.

GO$Rs

I have 4 gpx files on the SD card with about 12Mb total file size, but only about 1000 caches total. I decided to move them to the internal memory to see what happens. First boot took about 1 minute as before. Second and subsequent boots take about 21 seconds. There seems to be a performance difference here that I will investigate more.

I also have a City Nav NT map on the SD and will move it to internal to see if performance improves even more.