City Navigator NT? For Colorado 300

I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase the DVD or the SD card card version of City Navigator NT. What are the benefits and disadvantages of either. I have not used city navigator before since my GPS before the Colorado was a Etrex H and I decided for a big upgrade. So if any one has experience with either, which I am sure there are, please let me know what you think.

DVD

+

You can install to as many PC you like

You can plan routes, look at map zoom in/out

If you lose DVD you can always get a free copy since 25 digit key is all you need

-

Do only work on one GPS

SD Card

+

Can be used on several GPS, but only one at a time.

-

If you lose or destroy the card, you have to buy a new one

Not possible to plan on PC

Not possible to take backup.

You can off course install DVD to SD-Card, but it only works on one GPS.

Are there any limitations that prevent you from loading the whole City Navigator NT mapset onto an SD card from the DVD? If so, I can see where the pre-loaded SD card might be better for someone who is on the road and can't be loading maps as they move across the country.

I am in the same situation. I dont know what you can do with the dvd on the computer. i have read if you buy the sd, it will not work on the computer.

where are you looking to buy? gpsonsale has either for 119.99. no tax

Amazon has it for $110.40 with free shipping.

There are two advantages with pre-programmed cards:

You can move them to any GPS (one at a time) that has a suitable card reader.

You don't need any computer to get going.

If you are participating here, the last advantage is probably a moot point.

It could be understood above, but I want to stress that maps on a pre-programmed card works from that physical card only. You can not buy a 2 GB pre-programmed, then get a 4 GB blank card, move the maps to the 4 GB card and use the rest for MP3. That's not any point for the Colorado, but could be if you have, say, a nüvi too.

What could be a point is that you can probably not add any other maps to the card either. For most units, the file structure used will allow only one map file on a card, which then means you are limited to the map that's on the card to begin with. No maps can be added to that file, so you can't install whatever you are interested in on the card at the same time. Now on a Colorado, you can probably have that other map in internal memory, so it may not be any significant problem either.