Active zone not showing till exiting previous

dogastus

I have set up a series of zones. I only want one zone active at a time. When the player goes to the active zone and answers a question correctly, I make the current zone inactive (and invisible) and make the next zone active and visible. However, the new zone doesn't become active till the player has exited the current zone. That is, the emulator shows "nothing to do" until the player is moved outside the (now inactive) zone. Is this me not understanding where to place commands or a bug?

The other thing I get on the emulator is that sometimes I lose control of the little man. He makes big jumps when I get the mouse cursor near him and I can never get the mouse cursor to change to an arrow. This happens at random times during a simulation. Sometimes it's always fine, sometimes I get halfway through a simulation and it suddenly starts this behaviour.

For your first question, could you please supply some meta code? That is, could you tell what you have going on? Is the code you use to activate and deactivate zones in your input's if/then code? If not, where do you have it? Knowing that will help to troubleshoot your logic flow.

As for the second question, you'll have to take that issue up with davidloew himself--and tell him to cut down on the caffeine and sugar. (For those who don't get the joke, David's lackey icon is the one used in the emulator.) Anyway, seriously now, I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps the emulator is taking too much processing time (doubtful) and your clicks are registered too late, causing the pointer to jump to a different location. I'm not sure on that.

You know, I've seen almost the same thing; though all you have to do is barely move the guy around (I did not have to move him out of the zone) and everything updates. I think this may have something to do with the fact that in the emulator, your not receiving any GPS updates and are basically 'stale'. Here's what I was seeing.

1. Drag him into visible/active zone (only a single zone available).

2. Accomplish something.

3. Deactivate/Hide current zone.

4. Activate/Show the next zone.

5. Show a message to player.

6. When player hit the okay button I was doing a "show locations screen" call.

I noticed that when I did this the "show location screen" didn't seem to work. That was because according to the main screen there were no visible zones. If I barely moved the guy, then the location section on the main screen would list the next zone.

So I tried something else using the same sequence. Before hitting the 'OK' button on the message screen I would barely move the guy and then hit okay. This time the 'show locations' screen worked and the new zone was properly shown.

I'm not 100% sure, but if I had to speculate I would have to say that this has something to do with the fact the your not processing an actual GPS signal in the emulator.

Edited by Tydirium

I'm getting similar - the zones aren't visible until you reach their proximity (even though zones are set as visible and active). The strange thing is that is works fine in the emulator but the problem arises when I'm using the cartridge in the field with my Garmin Colorado. Any ideas?

For your first question, could you please supply some meta code? That is, could you tell what you have going on? Is the code you use to activate and deactivate zones in your input's if/then code? If not, where do you have it? Knowing that will help to troubleshoot your logic flow.

As for the second question, you'll have to take that issue up with davidloew himself--and tell him to cut down on the caffeine and sugar. (For those who don't get the joke, David's lackey icon is the one used in the emulator.) Anyway, seriously now, I'm not sure what the problem is. Perhaps the emulator is taking too much processing time (doubtful) and your clicks are registered too late, causing the pointer to jump to a different location. I'm not sure on that.

Thanks for your replies, Ranger Fox.

I have one zone marked active and visible, and all others inactive and invisible.

I set up a question to be answered on entering the active zone.

I set up an input event on that question being answered and add if-then-else to see if the users input is correct (string variable matches).

If there is a match, in that if-then-else script I set the current zone to be inactive and invisible and another zone to be active and visible.

I only see the new zone when I exit the current zone.

I see this behaviour on the simulator and on the real PDA.

Regarding the second question, the effect seems to be random. Moving around slowly or quickly doesn't seem to affect whether or not I get the effect. Sometimes I don't see it at all, other times halfway through a walk through.

Thanks for your replies, Ranger Fox.

I have one zone marked active and visible, and all others inactive and invisible.

I set up a question to be answered on entering the active zone.

I set up an input event on that question being answered and add if-then-else to see if the users input is correct (string variable matches).

If there is a match, in that if-then-else script I set the current zone to be inactive and invisible and another zone to be active and visible.

I only see the new zone when I exit the current zone.

I see this behaviour on the simulator and on the real PDA.

Regarding the second question, the effect seems to be random. Moving around slowly or quickly doesn't seem to affect whether or not I get the effect. Sometimes I don't see it at all, other times halfway through a walk through.

I'm going to put a fix in the emulator that moves the player a little when an attribute changes. this will emulate the actual moving when outside. this should fix the emulator issues with things not updating until you move the icon around the map.

For PPC, you have to move to make the position change.

David