Garmin Communicator and Garmin 12XL

Surveyah

I have a Garmin 12XL handheld (yes still working after owned for 10 years!), and I am trying to connect to Garmin Communicator without much luck. I am able to connect with Easy GPS fine through the serial ports. One lap top I have has a serial port, the other i need to use a serial/usb converter cable. Neither one can connect with the Garmin Communicator plug-in.

Does anyone know if Garmin Communicator supports serial communication or only USB?

Thanks.

I have an old 12XL that is still working, though after helping me find a couple thousand caches, it got pretty beat up. I found that GPSBabel worked fine for transferring a pocket query .gpx waypoint file to my 12XL machine. You'll have to be a premium member, do a pocket query, open up a version of GPSBabel for your operating system, find the GPX file with GPSBabel, then set the "to" section to your GPS with Garmin protocol. The GPS will need to be set to the Garmin setting also. (BTW, for some reason to the Mac users reading this, the old MacGPSBabel works for the 12XL, but I have not been able to get the newer GPSBabel+ to work.)

I don't have any trouble communicating with any other GPS software (Including GPSBabel, which I used in the past). It works with MS Streets and Trips, Easy GPS, even my ArcGIS program. I am just trying to figure out why it won't work with Garmin Communicator plug-in.

Thanks all so far

I have a Garmin 12XL handheld (yes still working after owned for 10 years!), and I am trying to connect to Garmin Communicator without much luck. I am able to connect with Easy GPS fine through the serial ports. One lap top I have has a serial port, the other i need to use a serial/usb converter cable. Neither one can connect with the Garmin Communicator plug-in.

Does anyone know if Garmin Communicator supports serial communication or only USB?

Thanks.

My 12xl wont work with Garmin Communicator but my gps map76 works fine with Garmin Communicator and it is a serial port gps. I have a usb only laptop and use a belkin serial to usb adapter. The 12XL works on everything I have tried except Communicator so it must be that Garmin Communicator wont work with the 12XL

and not the other way around

Thanks.

My 12xl wont work with Garmin Communicator but my gps map76 works fine with Garmin Communicator and it is a serial port gps. I have a usb only laptop and use a belkin serial to usb adapter. The 12XL works on everything I have tried except Communicator so it must be that Garmin Communicator wont work with the 12XL

and not the other way around

Yup. Same thing here with my venerable 12xl. No communicator. :o