search exceeds 500 caches

Rick618

On the google map search page I've noticed an issue in viewing caches. With both my finds and my caches checked to hidden there should be around 200 caches for me to view. If I move the scale bar to around the 7th mark on the slide it gives the red banner that says your search exceeds 500 caches. If I continue to expand the area the banner changes to adjust your zoom level to view caches. Moving the scale back to 5-6 it will show the caches. After looking at the caches with the numbers option turned on I'm guessing that the program is "seeing" all the caches in the area and the number exceeds 500 even though with the options checked the viewable total should be less than that.

This occurs in both IE and Firefox.

I think that is just the way it is. The limitation is the number of caches in the current view of the window, regardless of what you have checked or unchecked. I'm guessing that the "feature" to not show more than 500 is more of a system load safety feature rather than a "keep the map uncluttered" feature.

I noticed that back when I was attempting to view earth caches within an area. More than 500 Earthcaches in the PHX area?

Oh, no......it "sees" all the caches. Would be nice if this could be changed, but I'm fine with it, I guess. I could always run PQ's if I really want to filter things out.